Vbullletin 5

Arcade King

Customer
G'day guys

I just purchased a VB 5.5.5 upgrade. I'm satisfied after many long years that's its stable enough to warrant the upgrade from 4.2.5. I do have a Xenforo license however don't have the time to relearn a new forum software and reconfigure everything and my forum is well established going on 15 years+ If I was starting a new site I would have used Xenforo for sure.
Question is are the mods for VB 5 dead here? I've bought many DB tech vb4 mods and would like to move what I can over if possible but don't want to waste money if development has hit a brick wall.
Cheers
Travis

vB5 mods are dead everywhere. vB5 is not suitable for running in a production environment if you are interested in customising your site, as last I checked there were fewer than 100 addons for vB5 even after all these years.

Developing for vB5 is not enjoyable at all, it’s a terrible system compared to XF2, so that’s another nail in the coffin. If I was ever to take on any vB5 custom work, the hourly rate would be way higher than XF2.

In short, your best bet is to either continue running vB 4.2.5 or switch to XF2, or run a vanilla vB5 forum.

XF2 is not an option I don't have time to waste learning a new platform so Vanilla VB5 it will have to be as I've already paid a lot of money for the suite.
I thought my question was pretty simple are the mods still being supported that you sell for VB5? seems strange if you're selling an unsupported product.

They haven't been tested for versions of vB5 newer than 5.2, this is also marked in both the product list and on the product page.

XF2 is not an option I don't have time to waste learning a new platform so Vanilla VB5 it will have to be as I've already paid a lot of money for the suite.
I thought my question was pretty simple are the mods still being supported that you sell for VB5? seems strange if you're selling an unsupported product.

I converted from vBulletin 4.2.5 to Xenforo 2.1.4 and it's the best decision I could have made. Yes, it's a learning curve. Yes, it's 100% worth it. Xenforo is better than vBulletin. There's a reason why vBulletin 5.x is installed on less than 1,500 websites. Compare that to vBulletin 4.x which is installed on over 9,000 sites, and vBulletin 3.x which is installed on over 8,000 sites. That is in incredibly small number of users on vBulletin 5.x, and it's been out since 2012. After 7 years it's installed on less than 10% of the sites that vBulletin 3.x and 4.x are installed on. I get that you've paid a lot of money for vBulletin 5, but you aren't going to get near the support that you want from it (in terms of mods/addons/customization) without paying an arm and a leg for it. If I were you I'd see if you could resell vBulletin 5 (likely at a bit of a loss), and then purchase Xenforo.

I converted from vBulletin 4.2.5 to Xenforo 2.1.4 and it's the best decision I could have made. Yes, it's a learning curve. Yes, it's 100% worth it. Xenforo is better than vBulletin. There's a reason why vBulletin 5.x is installed on less than 1,500 websites. Compare that to vBulletin 4.x which is installed on over 9,000 sites, and vBulletin 3.x which is installed on over 8,000 sites. That is in incredibly small number of users on vBulletin 5.x, and it's been out since 2012. After 7 years it's installed on less than 10% of the sites that vBulletin 3.x and 4.x are installed on. I get that you've paid a lot of money for vBulletin 5, but you aren't going to get near the support that you want from it (in terms of mods/addons/customization) without paying an arm and a leg for it. If I were you I'd see if you could resell vBulletin 5 (likely at a bit of a loss), and then purchase Xenforo.

I'm happy With VB5 I don't know what all the fuss is about.. I understand the animosity towards the VB devs, it's taken a long time for VB5 to get up to where it is now and its damaged them considerably. I'm not ready to jump ship just yet, I'm happy with the product.
Nice thing about VB5 is it works on any platform without the need for 3rd party apps and mods and that's EXACTLY what I need right now.
Not taking anything away from Xenforo like I said I have a license with them also although I find it VERY hard to believe mods don't break upon new releases, all forum software suffer in the the same way.

Back