Status
Not open for further replies.

bzcomputers

Customer
It appears that apostrophes / single closing quotes in Forum Thread titles are being rewritten as "a".

Examples

Title:
Carnival Introduces New Marine-Themed ‘Camp Ocean’ Children’s Program
URL:
Code:
carnival-introduces-new-marine-themed-camp-oceana-childrena-s-program

Title:
Carnival Introduces New Marine-Themed "Camp Ocean" Children’s Program
URL:
Code:
carnival-introduces-new-marine-themed-camp-ocean-childrena-s-program

How would I go about getting DBSEO to remove all apostrophes from titles and make any trailing "s" after an apostrophe part of the original word?

Last edited:
Does it work if you replace the and symbols with ' (there's a difference that you may not notice unless you look really hard)?

If yes, try adding the and symbols to the Stopwords list.

If no, let me know and I will debug this further (on your site if necessary) :)

Does it work if you replace the and symbols with ' (there's a difference that you may not notice unless you look really hard)?

If yes, try adding the and symbols to the Stopwords list.

If no, let me know and I will debug this further (on your site if necessary) :)

Yes, swapping out and symbols for ' gets the results I was looking for, as far as the ' being filtered out.

Example:
Carnival Introduces New Marine-Themed 'Camp Ocean' Children's Program
Code:
carnival-introduces-new-marine-themed-camp-ocean-childrens-program-2474/

What's the best way to go about getting that to be the default sitewide for titles?

I tried putting and in stopwords but it appears they may already be getting processed prior to the stopwords code because it appears not to change anything.

Try removing them from stopwords and adding them to the Custom Character Filter setting, like so:
Code:
‘ => '
’ => '

If that doesn't work, try

Code:
& #2018; => '
& #2019; => '
(Remove the space after & )

Hopefully one of those will work :)

Thanks, the first option worked well.

Added this to the Custom Character Filter:
Code:
‘ => '
’ => '

...for those of you who may not have come across this issue to date.

This issue arises when/if you have any automated posts (i.e. RSS Feed posts) where the title contains a single quote or apostrophe that looks like or (notice the curl to them). This can also happen if copying text into the title box from another source that already contains one of these curled apostrophes / single quotations.

If you are manually typing in the title box you will not encounter this issue because all apostrophes / single quotes while typing will appear as ' (notice no curl) and these are already automatically removed during url rewrites.

Some Office apps and also Mac OS X tend to default to those kind of fancy apostrophes rather than the good old straight apostrophe.

Last edited:
Hi

I have Titles with simple quote : ' (no curl)... I would like them to be replace by a dash.... as it was the case in my old VBSEO configuration

For now DBSEO replace this simple quote by nothing so separated word are "stuck" together

Eg : "l'amour" will be replaced by "lamour" in the URL
I would like it to be replaced by "l-amour"

in my Custom Character Filter I have added :

Code:
'\''=>'-'

But the simple quote is still removed and not replaced by a dash

Any idea?

txs
Olivier

Last edited:
This cannot be done as it would cause data integrity issues when resolving URLs that need to be resolved based on the text rather than IDs.

As this topic is over 1 years old, I'll close it :)

Hello bzcomputers,

This ticket has now been closed with the status Not A Bug.

We hope your issue or question has been addressed to your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to re-open it by clicking this link.

If you have any further issues or questions, please feel free to start a new support ticket via the button at the top of every page.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings