Question Optimise and XCache

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajinoz

Customer
Optimise is working well, users report much faster response times.

My question relates to xcache. I used to have it running but turned it off when I was troubleshooting some forum problems a while ago. Is there any point in having this running now that optimise is installed? Would there be any benefit or would it make no difference or even cause problems in some way?

Any advice appreciated.

It's absolutely recommended to use XCache if your server can support it, as storing the cache in RAM is much faster than storing it in the Filecache (which is what I would imagine vB Optimise is set to now - you can check that in the Cache Settings page).

That being said, the default XCache configuration does not work, you must customise it slightly in order to make it work. This varies wildly on a server-by-server basis, but the essentials is that xcache.var_size must be set, I'd recommend 128M or higher. You may also want to turn off the admin auth (I don't recall the setting name for that off the top of my head), as it can cause problems and is unneeded unless you uploaded the xcache-admin directory manually.

Sorry, another sully question ....

In the cache settings there is one called: Cache Templates in the File System

I have set this to YES however it doesn't seem to require any parameters for directory name or location. Does it just create whatever it needs by itself?

Also, is this the setting referred to in the first paragraph of your reply above?

Thanks.

The folder used is /dbtech/vboptimise/templatecache - during install, I should already have CHMOD'ed that to 777 :)

I was referring to everything vB Optimise does, although the Templates and Plugins in File System are exceptions, as they will always be in the file system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vB Optimise

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Back