• Support will be limited until May 8th, as I will be out of the office travelling. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Implement a voting system so users can know which suggestions/featues are coming

db-fan22

Customer
dbtech is king, but something is missing here

i see many people make suggestions for new features, but problem is:

--we don't know which suggestions take priority over others
--we don't know which suggestions are coming
--we don't know how dbtech choose which suggestions
--no way to vote suggestions

would be great if you implemented a system where users can vote for suggestions or donating towards their suggestions to bump up their suggestions so it can take priority,

maybe implement my vote/idea add-on to dbtech website:

this way there is a place to see which suggestions are coming, and see which customers want which suggestoins

i see you have 1 other worker in your db company, maybe you can hire immigrant developer to help you, because i think you have too much work

@rphang

--we don't know which suggestions take priority over others
There is no rule for this, as it depends on the time investment versus return. If someone suggests a feature that will take 20 hours to develop and is (in my judgement) very niche, it will naturally have a lower priority than a suggestion that will take 20 minutes to develop.

If I like the suggestion and I'm excited for the feature, or I can see it adding significant value to the product, that also bumps it up the list.

Lastly, if I'm busy with other projects I will flag suggestions as On Hold and review them later, unless (as mentioned above) they're quick to implement.

--we don't know which suggestions are coming
Neither do I, so there's no way any changes could be made here.

--we don't know how dbtech choose which suggestions
See #1.

--no way to vote suggestions
First post reaction score, same as XF.com :) If I ever run out of things to implement in the moment, and I'm reviewing requested features, that's how I would rank them.

i see you have 1 other worker in your db company, maybe you can hire immigrant developer to help you, because i think you have too much work
I prefer to handle development myself, since I can be sure of the quality. If someone else was looking to join the team, I would want them to already have good knowledge of XenForo 2.1 development, so that there wouldn't be a lengthy training period.

If I like the suggestion and I'm excited for the feature, or I can see it adding significant value to the product, that also bumps it up the list.

why would you be excited for the feature? how can you see significant value to the product when the product is not for you,

the product is for the customer

we are the customer, the product is for our forum
you should care less about what you want, and more about what customer want

no one plan to invite you to join their forum
we only come here for product, not for become friends with you

if suggestion is for your personal forum than i understand why you are happy,

but it is customer who should be happy for new feature, because we need features to make millions$$$

our goal is to make millions$$$ from our forums, and we can't make millions$$$ unless we get new features

xenforo suggestion system is terrible, by first "likes"

anyways, thats is what happen to au lait, he got very stressed out by customer because he said being add-on developer is "not fun anymore"

now he is sick, or maybe sick

i can understand this because i also run a business and customer always want many things, it is very stressful
but i only care about one thing, and make money from customer, not have fun

customer will suck the fun out of your body! they are like leeches!

but it's business job to suck money out from customer!

it is capitalist way!

you make customer rich! and customer make you richer!

anyways hope didn't hurt your feelings, but this is truth

why would you be excited for the feature?
I can enjoy working on a feature and enjoy seeing the results of the feature. I can visualise the end result in my mind and see it as a "wow!" feature that will have many people excited for the release. Etc.

how can you see significant value to the product when the product is not for you,
I've worked in the add-on development business for nearly 15 years, professionally for nearly 8 years. In that time, I've gained more of an understanding about which features have "mass appeal" and which features are "niche".

For instance:
Take the DragonByte Credits product. The XenForo 1 version had a feature where you could "reset" the system and re-calculate credits based on existing content such as posts and threads. This feature is currently still missing from the XF2 version, because of a series of events that's caused other things to take priority.

(If you're interested; the Resource Guidelines standards forced me to essentially re-write every XF2 product from scratch, as the old method of maintaining an XF1 and XF2 version would not meet the Resource Guidelines. This, coupled with custom work, has caused a significant delay in developing new features / restoring old features from the XF1 version.)

That feature is going to be useful for nearly 100% of sites that purchase DragonByte Credits. I say "nearly" because not every site wants to count all old posts.

Contrast that with your desired feature; a withdrawal system. The system is essential for your site, but not every site uses DragonByte Credits the same way you use it. I don't know how many sites use it the same way you do, but I do know it's way fewer sites than the amount of sites that would benefit from the "Rebuild" feature.

Therefore, the Rebuild feature has higher priority than your suggestion.

The "Rebuild" feature has "mass appeal" and the "Withdraw" feature is "niche".

However, if multiple people post in your thread saying "I would also like this feature" and multiple people react to the first post, then that makes your feature more visible to me, and it means I'll think "well, it may be a niche feature but a lot of our customers / potential customers would like to see it, so I will work on it".

That is how I calculate the value of each suggestion, and that is how reacting to the first post & replying to the thread increases the value of the suggestion.

xenforo suggestion system is terrible, by first "likes"
And if / when they implement a better suggestion system, I will certainly look into the notion of replicating this system here (or purchase / install it, if they make their system available as a downloadable add-on).

anyways, thats is what happen to au lait, he got very stressed out by customer because he said being add-on developer is "not fun anymore"
And if I was somehow obligated to develop features or products I absolutely hated working on, then the same would happen to me.

Contrast that with your desired feature; a withdrawal system. The system is essential for your site, but not every site uses DragonByte Credits the same way you use it. I don't know how many sites use it the same way you do, but I do know it's way fewer sites than the amount of sites that would benefit from the "Rebuild" feature.
there is no actual statistics and chart that states how many people actually use this the way i do, so its pretty much an assumption, assumptions are not facts
there is not really anywhere to look "in one area" to see these statistics

That is how I calculate the value of each suggestion, and that is how reacting to the first post & replying to the thread increases the value of the suggestion.
ok but no one seems to be using your "reacting to the first post"

i ordered 3 forums by "first reaction post" and the results are terrible,

the results are when you look at the first thread, no one is using the "first reaction post" to "vote"

why? because the threads gets lost after a while and no one wants to go digging threw old threads

And if / when they implement a better suggestion system, I will certainly look into the notion of replicating this system here (or purchase / install it, if they make their system available as a downloadable add-on).
you should not wait until xenforo implements features, because you will be waiting years, thats why there is such a high demand for add-ons, because xenforo takes too long,
facebook has almost destroyed forums, because forum developers take too long and are not innovative , took them long enough to implement the reactions! they were more concerned over the "dislike" reaction

but they are a small company with small workers, so i can expect a lot, takes time, money and manpower which they dont have

i think making money in the forum business is over,
i remember 20 years ago, forums were huge! forums were king!

i think another 5 years and i am finished with the forum business,

im moving on to dating sites, there is still lots of money to make in the dating sites business

im getting bored of forums/xenforo,

And if I was somehow obligated to develop features or products I absolutely hated working on, then the same would happen to me.

this is why i am looking forward for AI to finally take the jobs of programmers, when AI finally learns to program it's will take humanity to a higher level, because AI doesn't get tried, or need to have fun, or tell judge the features i want

it will be my slave and do what i want, when i want!

i can't wait until we automate the world

im not trying to disrespect you, im just trying to give you ideas to help you become the top add-on developer in the world
so your add-on can make me rich and your customers can make you richer

thank you for your hard work, you are a good human worker, i like your add-ons,

Last edited:
i think making money in the forum business is over,
i remember 20 years ago, forums were huge! forums were king!

i think another 5 years and i am finished with the forum business,

im moving on to dating sites, there is still lots of money to make in the dating sites business

im getting bored of forums/xenforo,

If you're getting bored with forums, then why are still using forum software?

Why wait 5 years to move onto some other business venture? Do it now.

I think your comments are rude and demeaning towards the DragonByte developers.

If you don't like the way things are done... do it yourself.

Back