If it were actually gone... I'd be happy. It's on it's way out now that Win7 has proven to be a decent upgrade. My company is phasing out winXP for Win7, so that's another 90,000 users no longer using IE6. But it's going to take another couple of years before it's GONE.

i don't think it'll ever be gone as you can still use it with win7. plus i'm sure theres gunna be someone with an ancient PC using windos XP somewhere in the worl. XD

i don't think it'll ever be gone as you can still use it with win7. plus i'm sure theres gunna be someone with an ancient PC using windos XP somewhere in the worl. XD

Fair enough. But gone enough that I don't have to support it with anything I write here at work... coding for IE6 is just a pain in the butt! heh

well when I was messing around with hypervisor I ran windows 95 with IE 5. It couldnt even load google.com without difficulty rofl.
Im sure one day IE6 will have that problem

Yeah, Google isn't the only ones stopping support for IE6. You will find many sites now giving up IE6 and some are completely blocking IE6 users from accessing their site/service without an upgrade.

I will not bother supporting IE6 myself but unfortunately, there are still a few customers I have to work with who still use IE6 and it angers me too much. It's not hard for IT staff to upgrade their staffs browsers and in most cases it only takes a single installation to upgrade an entire network.

I believe Microsoft should be forced to release a OS update for all Windows operating systems that upgrades the browser forcefully. It's still an unfortunate thing that even IE8 doesn't make developers happy enough.

Wrong. Microsoft aren't catching up. They said they will follow their customers demands. Only Windows 7 has been able to acomplish this mission so far.

Internet Explorer 8 uses a rendering engine which can be deemed obsolete and shouldn't be used. If they were to follow the same suit as every other browser on the market by using a similar or same rendering engine as Firefox or Chrome then it will make users and developers happy all over the world. That's a big impact that a small browser can make. And it's really not difficult for Microsoft to acomplish that. Unfortunately they keep deciding to improve the rendering engine instead, increasing their Acid 3 rating up by barely many points every time (works on a ***/100 scoring base).

IE8 scores a fatal 20/100 while browsers like Firefox pass with 94/100. It's not acceptable.

And in all fairness he said "catching on", not "up". ;) So he only gave them points for starting to get a clue, not implementation of the clue. ;)

if i'm honest the only browsers worth using are opera an firefox, IE8 is useless in comparison and doesn't offer anything near what Firefox users get. microsoft should just ditch their web browser and concerntrate on giving us a decent OS.

Touchè sir... Touchè.

And don't forget Chrome, with the almighty speed and Javascript engine of theirs.

i've never really used chrome much, i've prefered the features that opera and fire fox have, i used to design skins that worked in opera and firefox, if they worked in both you knew you had it all worked out.

... I don't understand. I've not seen a nice skin for Firefox to date. It's as if everyone is happy to make their desktop look like a scrapyard.

i like the firefox default skin, plus they have an IE8 skin which looks exactly like IE8 so those who want to look like their on IE8 can :)

They have a deadly sin on their hands. And yes the default skin for Firefox is fine. I just don't see the need in changing things like that. It makes things harder to see or read.

Touchè sir... Touchè.

And don't forget Chrome, with the almighty speed and Javascript engine of theirs.

Chrome is just crazy like that. I remember the Script demos that google released when chrome came out, they were just nuts.
I like chrome the best though, FF3.5 seems a bit too laggy in my opinion

Back