soniceffect

Customer
Just been speaking to Cosmic and he suggested I post this here.

I have moved over to vbulletin from xenforo and there is something I am missing from my forum that I know many others are also. There is a german version which looks far too over involved for what people want IMO however no english version anywhere. If you wrote this, I would buy it.

Membermap

Features
  • Works from either google or bing maps
  • User selects his/her location on the map by clicking on the map
  • List of users next to main map. When clicked zooms to location
  • Different coloured markers for staff and members

Would be nice, but not important for first version
  • Points of interest entry from admincp
  • Points of interest entry with staff moderation approval for members
  • Optional Grouped markers

Now there is no doubt someone will do this at some point. However nobody as of yet has done it for vb4. It has been requested a few times. If I could get a version which I could almost guarentee would make it to the next versions of vbulletin, I would be likely to purchase yours even if one arrose at some point in the future.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the GeoIP library to geolocate someone based on IP address instead of forcing them to set their location manually?

I'm pretty sure this already exists, or at least some implementation of it. I think it was called DigitalPoint Member Map or something.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use the GeoIP library to geolocate someone based on IP address instead of forcing them to set their location manually?

Maybe as an option yes, however bare in mind some people may not have the option to set these kinds of things up on the server. Also I want users to be able to chose to add themselves to the map. Firstly because its something the users interact with and therefore go and look at in order to add themselves. It then becomes something which is used rather than ignored.

I'm pretty sure this already exists, or at least some implementation of it. I think it was called DigitalPoint Member Map or something.

Found it, here ya go: Digital Point User Map - vBulletin.org Forum

Probably not as many features as you asked for, but... it's the same mod (I think DP rewrote it for xF when he switched to it).

That usermap does none of the above. Digital point usermap only shows the location of people who are currently online on the forum. For the purposes of forums who want to know where concentrations of users are for meetings, events etc that one is actually of no use at all. The link below is more the thing I am looking for. There has been something very similar to this on every vbulletin version up to 3.8.

Member Map | XenForo Community

Back