Status
Not open for further replies.

neounix

Customer
Hey!

Have noticed, from time to time, that we are seeing an occasional problem with DBSEO when we use the "Add Link" BBCODE for:

[URL] full link with http:// here [/URL]

But so far, I've only confirmed the problem in forums which are not public, for some reason.

So, I started a thread on our forums and will post where when we can confirm this, so you can see the exact problem.

Here is the thread where we will "hunt" down the problem so we can squash this occasional bug in the URL BBCODE rewrites.

Please keep this bug open as "unconfirmed" until we can get you a working bug to squash!

Happy Holidays.

Note: I can duplicate this bug in our private mod forum.

Basically DBSEO is prepending:

!<threadid>!

to each URI so:

Code:
http://www.myforum.com/44444-this-is-a-thread.html

becomes rewritten:

Code:
http://www.myforum.com/[COLOR="#FF0000"]!44444!/[/COLOR]44444-this-is-a-thread.html

Can you please provide the exact steps taken and the exact data entered into any form fields to replicate this issue?

Yes.

Normally, I am writing or editing a post.

Then, go to some URL and copy it to my clipboard (control C, like that).

Then, I highlight some text in the post.

Then, I click on the "Link Icon", in the editor and a pop up window for the BBCODE pops up. Then, I paste (co...blic forums so you can see it "in action" ...

So far, I've only seen the problem with internal links to our forum pages.

I've not seen it happen with external links (so far).

EDIT: And when it happens, I then check the PHP error log and the MySQL error log, and find no errors (but anyway, the level is set to only give PHP errors that are pretty high, not info, or notices, etc)

Last edited:
I've tried to replicate this but I've been unable to do so. Are you able to replicate this with a specific internal link? If so, please post it here.

Yes, I can replicate; but so far only in a our private admin and mod forums.

As soon as we can replicate in a public or standard member forum, I'll send you the link and details!

Merry Christmas!

Can it be replicated 100% of the time if the link is posted in a forum that guests cannot access?

That may indeed be a possible reason.

Can this be replicated on your staging server with that link? IIRC I don't have access to writing to the files on your live server.

yes, we were having the same trouble there.. but I'm not working on that server at the moment, and it's really a lot of work to keep the staging server in sync with the live server just to debug this code.

I'm sorry, but the bugs are starting to get our mod and admin team upset. They don't understand why after installed DBSEO we are having so many bugs.. because the forum was so smooth for so long.

We are spending all of our time trying to keep the forums running smoothly after installing DBSEO and we are getting frustrated with the endless stream of bugs, I'm sorry to say.

Thanks!

yes, we were having the same trouble there.. but I'm not working on that server at the moment, and it's really a lot of work to keep the staging server in sync with the live server just to debug this code.
Why does it need to be in sync? Surely it can be replicated without syncing anything?

I'm sorry, but the bugs are starting to get our mod and admin team upset. They don't understand why after installed DBSEO we are having so many bugs.. because the forum was so smooth for so long.

We are spending all of our time trying to keep the forums running smoothly after installing DBSEO and we are getting frustrated with the endless stream of bugs, I'm sorry to say.
As with the previous post you made with this content, I'm not entirely sure what you want me to say?

None of the issues you are reporting have been encountered by anyone else using DBSEO, which is quite a few people (including ourselves here at DBTech).

If you'd rather remove DBSEO for now and wait for others to discover and help me fix the issues, I'd understand - you have to do what's best for your forum.

We don't have enterprise-level of testing facilities available where we can test the software on the millions of different possible server & software combinations available, so unfortunately issues like these may occur, even in a non-Beta release, when dealing with a non-enterprise level software development company such as ourselves :)

Last edited:
I'll post back when I'm not "DBSEO stressed out"....

Sorry to tell you; but our mods are not happy about they errors since DBSEO was installed.

I better not reply when in such bad spirits over this software.

Have a nice day.

Forum members reported this same problem with postid when the cut-and-pasted a single post, so we are seeing this problem in both threads and posts.

I just upgraded to 1.0.0rc1.. so maybe that will help?

I'm still wondering whether it can always be replicated with the same link, i.e. pasting a specific link into multiple different posts will always make this happen.

If so, please PM me the link and re-send the access details for your staging server, otherwise I will not be able to assist with this issue until the 4th when I'm back home.

I think best to add debug code.. .thanks.... yes, it can be replicated; but honestly, we are busy with a lot of end of year tasks and it would be easier for us to simply add some debug logging code so we can easily to see the issue in a log file.

We'll have to wait then, since I have no idea where the issue is... if I did, I would simply fix it :)

The only way I can debug this is to stop code execution at various break points to discover, by process of elimination, where it starts going wrong.

Further testing reveals that this problem only happens when the post is first created.

After the page is reloaded, the problem goes away.

Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 7.29.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 7.29.40 AM.png

Was testing in this thread:

http://www.unix.com/post-here-conta...-parsing-url-post302881757.html#post302881757

Seems find after we reload it.. but it is broken after the post is first created...... So the DBSEO URL rewriting engine seems to have problem only when the post is first created, not when it is reloaded and rewritten again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back