Bug Bug: homeurl instead of bburl for relative paths? why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zambfd

Customer
Hi,

yesterday i upgraded your SEO Addon to the latest version. After that i realised that all realtive links in the forum (like top navigation, quicklinks to posts e.g.) are redirected to our www-Site instead the forum subdomain.

Thats because you are NOW using the homeurl instead the bburl (settings) for this redirects. This makes absolutely no sense, espacially for boards which are running on subdomains.

Please fix this asap.

/dbtech/dbseo/includes/url.php
Line 1049

Regards.

Hi there,

This is working as intended. If you have added URLs to your navbar that look like this: /page.php?foo=bar then they should use your home URL, not your forum URL.

Could you please edit your navbar links and remove the slash, so that the links look like this: page.php?foo=bar ?

Thanks!

Nope. If you use / in front of the relative URL the forum is building urls out of the home url. It is the other way around. Also the homeurl is not the forum url. bburl is the forum url, so this code snippet is wrong.

And also with your code i have to edit the postbit templates, because there the urls (e.g. quick links) are also included with /

Just change homeurl to bburl on the mentioned line in the file url.php and everything works as intended.

Last edited:
Nope. If you use / in front of the relative URL the forum is building urls out of the home url. It is the other way around. Also the homeurl is not the forum url. bburl is the forum url, so this code snippet is wrong.
Sorry, I think there's a misunderstanding here.

Let's say you have a domain, domain.com and your forum is in domain.com/forums/

If you create a link on your forum that uses /page.html, it will link to domain.com/page.html, NOT domain.com/forums/page.html

This is what DBSEO is resolving by using the Home URL instead of the Forum URL for links that start with /.

Additionally, in the default vBulletin style, there are NO links of any description that start with /. Searching for href="/ has 0 results. This is a problem with your custom skin, not with DBSEO or vBulletin.

Maybe. But my solution will also work in both cases. :)

Oh, and thank you for your fast replies.

Maybe. But my solution will also work in both cases. :)
Unfortunately that is not the case. In my previous scenario, the site in question would set their Home URL to domain.com and Forum URL to domain.com/forums.

If they were previously using the /page.html link in their forums to link to domain.com/page.html, changing the code you pointed out would cause the link to become domain.com/forums/page.html, which is incorrect.
This is exactly why we introduced the change in the first place, to counter this issue.

Unfortunately we will not be able to revert this change as a result :(

That's a very rare combination, and it still doesn't change the fact that making links with href"/ is bad practice.

You're right in that in this particular scenario it will cause issues, but unless this becomes a widespread problem for DBSEO, the current behaviour will remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte SEO

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back