Status
Not open for further replies.

Webbstre

Customer
This feature request is mixed, either a two-for-one or a one-fix-for-two-problems. The explanation is problem best broken into smaller problems:

Problem 1: Users who have the ability to upload files in the database see the upload button on every page other than the base vbdownloads.php page. This includes categories where they do not have the ability to upload files (Such as a category that exists to compartmentize sub-categories).

Problem 2: If a user clicks Upload on a category that they cannot upload files to the upload file page loads as normal, except they cannot upload anything and the Category selection is blank.

Problem 3: If a user goes to a category where they can upload files, then chooses a different category (which allows file uploads, but files with different extensions than where they originally clicked the Upload button) they must change the category, then save, then edit the file again, then and only then can they upload the correct files.

Proposed solution: A single upload page, with the Category selection left blank but a required field. When the user changes the category the page automatically saves it and reloads. Below, where the Uploads section is, it would also be nice to have a little text box listing the allowed file extensions for the current category. Finally, throw an additional link to the new unified Upload page into the sub-nav links so that it is easy to find on every page of the database.

I'm coming across all this because I'm suddenly getting a large influx of users who are finding the upload system more than a bit unintuitive. The actual makers of the game whose mods I host tried to upload a couple files today and had a difficult time understanding how it was supposed to work, especially since it's not viable to splash a detailed explanation of how to upload on every page.

I've uploaded a hotfix that corrects the upload button issue.

There was also an issue in which categories where users had no upload permissions were shown in the drop-down menu, which has also been taken care of :)

Since there's more than one file changed I don't specify them - it's best to do 'em all to be safe :)

Thanks for the fast response! The fixed category selector really helps. Was the extension info always there and I was blanking out or did you just implement that?

Also, should I make a separate feature request for the "Page reload when changing category" thing? Or is that not viable?

I'll get to your other responses tonight after work. Thanks as always!

The only problem that remains now is the Private / Password fields - changing the category may change whether or not it's allowed to enter that information.

Currently, vBDownloads just silently discards that information - I'm not sure if it would be worth the additional time & resources needed to create a system to hide those fields if a category not permitting them was selected.

Isn't that the same problem with the allowed file extensions? If you go into one category with say, a .zip extension allowed, but they upload and then move their entry to another category that does not allow .zip extensions, the .zip remains there.

True, but reloading the page wouldn't help with that, and removing the uploaded file would not be very user friendly.

Yeah, page reloading wouldn't remove the file (and that wouldn't be desirable sometimes anyways), but if it reloaded after the category was changed wouldn't that change the extensions allowed for upload on that page?

Personally, I have passwords and private downloads turned off, so that doesn't really bother me much :p

It would change the extensions yeah, but it would make it confusing for users when the extensions allowed suddenly changed.

Moderators can simply move the file to the correct category anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBDownloads

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Back