• Support will be limited until May 8th, as I will be out of the office travelling. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MHB

Customer
Here is a link for reference: Updates

1) When clicking "Thanks", the post bit stats disappear until refreshing the page. Can we change that?

2) I use something called LaTeX on my site to render math equations. When clicking "Thanks" this also breaks until refreshing the page.

It seems clicking a button with this mod does something strange to the postbit. Any suggestions? If not can you please look into fixing this for future versions?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is because neither the statistics nor the LaTex mod works with "showpost.php", which is what APTL uses to refresh the post.

We are unable to make any changes to make 3rd party modifications work with that file.

Hi Fillip H. :)

First of all, thank you for being so quick to help me fix the other issues I've been having. I'm hoping dbSEO will lead to some more traffic and at the very least won't have the problems and security issues left over from vBSEO.

Fair enough about the LaTeX thing, but the postbit issue is not something custom or 3rd party. There is nothing custom in my postbit for those two stats ... as far as I know it's enabled through the AdminCP. Why do the numbers disappear? Can you confirm or show me otherwise that it's not a custom issue?

What I meant by my previous post was that while we could make the change in APTL to support showpost.php, we can't modify other plugins to add that support.

I was able to fix the rendering issue with some custom coding, but the postbit problem remains. Hopefully you guys decide to look at this for updated versions! Thank you. :)

I have discovered another issue with this mod - when "liking" a post that contains a quote and an attached image inside that quote, the image goes from showing to disappearing and being replaced with the word "Attachment". Haven't tested what kinds of attachments follow or don't follow this, but it happens for sure with attached images.

I'm well aware that this is a complex modification that probably took months to code plus tons of extra time with updates and bug fixes, but it really seems like the main way it's interacting with showpost.php is really a problem. I'm glad vbSEO can be replaced with two mods from you guys, since I was in a terrible situation once they went offline (plus the product was so out of date), but the one thing I miss is not worrying about showpost problems.. Please, please, please look into a way to smooth out the execution of clicking one of the buttons. I hired someone to work on fixing it but it's too much code to make this reasonable.

Thank you for considering my feedback! :)

Is the word linked? I.e. can you click it and it will open the attachment?

Yes, it turns into a clickable link but that isn't something I'm happy about. I am hoping that you guys can smooth out these issues in an update soon. :)

Yes, it turns into a clickable link but that isn't something I'm happy about. I am hoping that you guys can smooth out these issues in an update soon. :)
We have no control over what vB sends back when we request a post refresh.

To demonstrate, make a similar post without APTL, attach an image, then use the Quick Edit function.

We have no control over what vB sends back when we request a post refresh.

To demonstrate, make a similar post without APTL, attach an image, then use the Quick Edit function.

I don't really understand the idea that "you have no control over what vB sends back". It might be really complicated and not worth looking into, but the post refresh process is just code like the rest of vB so it isn't out of the realm of possibility to control. It seems like the issues I have would take a lot of work for you guys to rewrite core parts of the plugin or you don't think it's that big a deal. I respect the right to disagree but unfortunately I will probably have to look for others "likes" plugins that are overall worse but avoid the post refresh issues.

We don't use quick replies or quick edits usually but I enabled quick editing to test what you wrote and there were 0 issues. I attached an image and quoted it, then edited both posts with quick edit and it was very smooth. The image didn't turn into a link. Hitting the "thanks" button on the other hand has an initially lag after clicking and then things flash briefly or disappear. It's nothing personal against you guys and I wish it wasn't true, but it is.

It happens here on your board as well. I just thanked your post and after clicking the button it takes a while before anything starts, which might seem to a new user as if they didn't actually click it so they try clicking again and might unlike it. This issue isn't that bad though, but shaving off some time would make a huge difference. After the like is recorded and added to the bottom of the post the social media links in your signature all disappeared then refreshed.

I've said all I can about this I think and I appreciate you listening to my feedback. If these things are problems in your mind then you don't need to fix them, so there's not much else for me to write. If you decide to look into these and need more info from me or to test out something, I would be more than happy to do anything you need.

EDIT: I just took a look through the files needed to run this plugin and there are a lot of pieces for sure. The options available for customization are awesome and I like most parts of the product. Given the complexity of the plugin and that the programmer I normally use for everything told me this would take ages to change, I don't see these changes coming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back