Do you want sounds/voices in the RPG

• I think it could be cool, I might have use for it.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • I have no interest in it and wouldn't use it.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonByte Technologies

Company Information
Staff member
Company Info
So we are contemplating putting voices & sounds into the RPG.

The NPCs would be voiced, there would be several hours of generic voiceover material for admins to insert as needed as well - things like generic greetings "welcome to X", warnings etc, as well as taking your requests.

Because we would need to have an initial financial outlay to get the professional grade equipment required, we want to make sure it's something you guys would be interested in having =)

Feel free to ask questions/give your thoughts below - Bear in mind this would not take any development time away from anything else, as the functionality to use it pretty much already exists, and the voicing would not be done by a coder.

We would also try to put in monster sounds (roars, growls etc) and hit sounds to play when an attack is launched to give the game more depth and feedback.

Generally, I'm against such things as quality of voice acting is generally pretty low and costly. Plus when you add something new, but related to something old in... you might not have the same person available for the voice recording, etc.

If it's not too much to add, then I think adding it as a feature isn't bad, but make sure it can be turned off. Very few people are going to have the resources to make this work good, those that do, I'm sure will enjoy the hell out of it. Most of your customer base, however won't.

I am waffling on this one! One the one hand, it does sound really neat. I could also get members to create sounds too and that is always good for a community project.

But on the other hand, things like sounds and voices also adds a lot of extra loading time and eats up space, etc. >< Bigger the community gets, the more taxing that is. The biggest complaint I get from people is about loading times and server lag. So I wouldn't want to add anything too frivolous to make it worse.

I went ahead and voted "cool" though, with the hopes there's a way to turn them off. >:D

There would 100% be a way to turn them off ^.^

We would, of course, also keep the sizes of the files as low as possible, and admins could control where/when they would play to further help. Loading a few monster sounds shouldn't add much to the page size at all, and neither would short "intro" speeches, longer NPC conversations etc though could add to loading times, but it would be up to yourselves if you felt it was worth it.

The plan would be to have 3 settings Intros, Battle sounds, Dialogue, and you could en/disable them as you wish, as well as add/remove individual sounds.

I came back to this thread to clarify something, which it appears Cosmic just pointed out. I'm all for game sounds (optional of course). I'm just not hopeful that voice acting would be all that great. So again, let's hear the monsters roar, die and scream as blade hit them. =)

*nods* the acting quality might not be the greatest, but it's replacable with other sounds if you like - nothing stopping someone from ripping lines from a movie or game for instance and using those ^.^

I voted against it. I generally dislike it when websites try to play sounds on my computer. Usually it is because I have a game/movie/music running in a corner and when foreign noises intrude it drives me nuts. Plus, I also think the time and resources for voice acting could be better spent on just working on the product's other areas.

I think it would add to the quality of the game. Either way, if there are words being said, then those words should also be displayed on the screen.

xD, at the moment the duties would be split up between me and Edron. Monster sounds we'd be looking to sample other sounds for them rather than do them by voice where possible.

Is this strictly for Monster RPG or with the full fledged classic RPG that's slated to be out in the future?

For my opinion Monster Sounds are only usefull when the Fighting speed can be increased. By now the pageload is about 5-7 seconds after pressing the Submit/Fight button. Thats a way to long and a fight gets boring.

For my opinion Monster Sounds are only usefull when the Fighting speed can be increased. By now the pageload is about 5-7 seconds after pressing the Submit/Fight button. Thats a way to long and a fight gets boring.

Battle system is already undergoing a major overhaul =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back