Status
Not open for further replies.

Freekoid

Customer
I came across this one yesterday but not sure if it supposed to play out like this or may be bug related or out of scope.

Scenario:

Create a 2 player tournament, 2 rounds, let the players confirm and begin.

Give the game play a small amount of time (I did this so not to sit around waiting for it to finish)

The first player plays the first round and has a high score but does NOT attempt the second round.

The second player plays both round but needs to finish with less score than player one, I used asteroids as it was easy to accomplish.

I then let the tournament play run out.

When player one returned all that was left was a commit button(link) to press, once hit it made them the winner.

Surely after X time has passed the second player should have won!

Sounds perfectly normal to me?

Player 1's results:
skipped

Player 2's results:

Whether you were doing best/latest/average of attempts, player 1 always wins (100 > 80/70/75 respectively). I made it such that using up all your attempts was at the player's discretion, and in some cases might even be beneficial to stop early (depending on the method admin chose to go with). Players might not have all day to finish their matches if the admin decided to give 10 attempts for some reason, and its a courtesy to others to bypass waiting for the time limit to count down.

To clarify some things: the commit button simply marks the match as completed for that user, it is the same function that is executed when the match expires due to the time limit. It only counts as forfeit if they had NO attempts and they were the first person to complete their match with no attempts (either by clicking commit, or time limit running out [the order of which is randomized so its not always the first or last person to keep continuing on in a tournament full of deadbeats]). If player 1 left the game screen open while the timer ticked down to 0 (sounds like what you did), nothing would happen and the link would still be there to be clicked - but the effects of clicking it were already executed by the time limit in the background, so nothing broken there upon clicking it. The page would just update to the state it should have been in if you have visited the completed tournament instead.

If you think my logic is flawed please elaborate :D I might be wrong.

Ok, perhaps I'm reading into 'forfeit' and linking it to 'game time to play'

If you don't turn up in the allotted time, after your email/PM reminders then you lose out!

I'm getting confused again(well i'm not really).If it was set to a round robin ie: Group Mode then player 2 would win (based on games won)..If as with Freekoid scenario it's set at 2 player tournament, thats based on highscore not games won..

The tournaments are always decided on matches not plays. The number of attempts (plays) allowed per match varies per tournament and is up to the player if he wants to play more than 1 to better his chances of winning the match (depending on the method used to select the score used to represent that user's performance in that match, which is compared against the other player to determine who won).

I've edited the description for the Attempts setting to:

The maximum number of times a user can play the game per match, to better their chances of earning a winning score for that match, depending on your settings for score selection.
Users must play at least once to avoid forfeit, and can opt to complete their match early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBArcade

vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Back