Status
Not open for further replies.

Footman

Customer
Not really sure if this is a bug but seemed the best fit given the choices...

I've tried setting up a new gallery instance just for member video uploads. (This is done on my test install by the way)
I'd like to have two separate areas one for photos one for videos.
I believe i set it up correctly however I cannot upload video files. The error message tells me the directory is not writeable. Ok, fine...
I try to chmod it correctly via my ftp and via my hosts control panel. I'm not allowed to make the chmod changes.
This means that I do not have the ownership rights to the directory. (I'm running a semi-private server with 8 others) I can ask my host to make the changes of course. However I would think the creation of the directory from within the settings of vB and Gallery would set it up with the correct CHMOD and not require an extra step like this.

Any thoughts?
Thank you
:)

A side issue/bug with this instance is that the new instance nav button is always highlighted even if I'm on another part of the site...

Check that the gallery instance has a unique shortname. It sounds like it doesn't have a shortname which will make it highlighted all the time.

What is the directory permission and owner/group?
It should make them correctly, I've had some problems with certain servers depending on how php and the security is setup

Check that the gallery instance has a unique shortname. It sounds like it doesn't have a shortname which will make it highlighted all the time.
Yep, that was the problem... thanx

What is the directory permission and owner/group?
It should make them correctly, I've had some problems with certain servers depending on how php and the security is setup
It came up 043 and I cannot change it myself via ftp or control panel. When I try I get an error message.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 10.29.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-10 at 10.29.21 PM.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 24
Yep, that was the problem... thanx

It came up 043 and I cannot change it myself via ftp or control panel. When I try I get an error message.

Unfortunately, 043 will not work. If you are unable to change the folder permissions yourself, you will need to contact your host.

Unfortunately, 043 will not work. If you are unable to change the folder permissions yourself, you will need to contact your host.

Yep, this I understand as I mentioned in my OP. I was just curious as this shouldn't be necessary when starting a new instance. I was hoping to gain some insight as to why it wasn't started with the correct CHMOD.

Yep, this I understand as I mentioned in my OP. I was just curious as this shouldn't be necessary when starting a new instance. I was hoping to gain some insight as to why it wasn't started with the correct CHMOD.

The thing is, the function to change the chmod permissions of a file / directory is limited by permissions as well. If it isn't allowed to make those changes, it won't (because it can't).

The thing is, the function to change the chmod permissions of a file / directory is limited by permissions as well. If it isn't allowed to make those changes, it won't (because it can't).

I suppose I figured I wouldn't run into this issue since it didn't happen with the main gallery instance.

The folder for the main instance was created manually when you uploaded the files. The only time I've seen this problem is with the user directories when I tried to set the permissions at the same time as creating the folder. I've never done that with the gallery instances though. I'll have Fillip H. take a look at my code and see if he can see why the problem happened. He knows a lot more about server security then me and might have had to deal with an issue like it before.

Great, thanks. I'll send an email to my host and see if he has a thought about it.

I'd like to figure it out before I do the same process on my live site. This was done on my test site that I use to try things out before going live.

Ok I heard back from my host. I'll paste their response here:

The issue persisted as the directory was created using the mod you installed. Since it's a web based action the directory needs to be under the web server group which I have taken care of and you shouldn't face the same issues again.

While that's a good answer it didn't satisfy my need to know the why and how of it all. So I wrote back and asked:

If I understand you correctly, it's a server side setting that needed changing and it's a setting to which I don't have access, only you do... is that correct? Is this something I can see and point to on my php.info screen? Just to clarify for the guys who wrote the mod. If it happens to someone else we can say with ease that this is a required setting from the host.

Their reply:

Yes that is correct however the changes made by us will not reflect into phpinfo.
We would rather like to know from the authors of the mod on what they recommend in such cases as each system has a different functionality.

Hopefully this can help you guys out and if you have any info I can pass back to them I'll gladly do so.

Hmm, have you had any users upload images? I'm wondering if he modified your account or just that folder.

The times I've run into the problem before was if I tried to make a directory and set the permissions at the same time. So I modified the script so it would create the directory, check if it's writeable and modify the permissions if it's not.

You might want to ask them if your account is not allow to use a php script to create directories. Every time a user uploads an image, if he has never uploaded before, directories will be created to match that user for image organization. So it's kind of important your account can do that heh.

Let me know what they say though.

No I haven't had any users try to upload images. This is happening on my test board. No users but me. However after setting up the second instance for videos I tried to upload a video and that's when I see the error message.

I'll pass on your reply to my host and see what he says.

Thanx

File path is not writeable. The script does not have access to write files to the correct directory. Please report this error to your site administrator.
I believe I can change the chmod now manually so it will work however this is what I was getting.

Hmm, could I get ftp access? The problem you're probably going to run into is every time a user tries to upload an image, it creates new directories. If the permissions don't get set right then you're going to have to set the permissions after the user tries to upload an image and the directory gets created, which isn't really going to work without pissing off a lot of users lol
I want to see what it's doing and if how I create the directories conflicts with your servers security policy, how they would suggest we do it

Makes sense to me. This is why I try this out on my test board before going live. Once I get a handle on this I can ask for some added features for Gallery ;)

I just pm'd you login and ftp info for my test board.

Thanx :)

Yeah, it's still creating the folders as owner:group of 48:48 and permission of 043

It works on a majority of the servers. Maybe they can suggest a way for the script to create a folder and have the right group/permissions on theirs, here is my commands to create the directory and set the permissions

PHP:
            if (!is_dir($filedir))
            {
                mkdir($filedir);
                $newdir = true;
            }

if (!(is_writable($filedir)))
            {
                @chmod($filedir, octdec(0755));
            }

Well, they tried to upload a .flv file I supplied and they made some changes and got it uploaded. However when I tried uploading with a new member I get the same error message. I let them know you have success on a majority of servers with this script but for some reason its not working here.

On a side note, the video they uploaded won't load and play for me to view. You can see it my looking in the video tab and see for yourself. I don't know if it's a server end problem or a script problem. But thought you should be aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy DragonByte Gallery

vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings
Back