Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Customer
Thanks for the update ...v1.0.1 (Beta 2)

Some nice additions .... :)

I've now got a problem with the permissions (see pic) ...

Because I couldn't delete old test emails from being viewed by others, I created a special test user vbMail setup that only has me as an Admin subscribed. Of course I don't want it viewed by everyone else, so I set it up as shown in the attached pic.

Unfortunately, as an Admin, I don't see any longer at all the Mailing List specified in the pic from the main forum Mailing List screens myself, even though I'm checked off? :confused:

I assume it might be due to the fact that besides being an Admin, I'm naturally also a member of other user groups, such as Contributing Member, Advisory Panel etc ...

If this is the case, then we're going to have a problem with this method of showing the mailing lists or not, as it shouldn't require ALL user group boxes to be checked off, but show the Mailing List if any one of the boxes are checked off.

Thanks ...

Regards,
Doug

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 11.41.48 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 11.41.48 AM.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 4
That is indeed working as intended :)

If it did not work like that, people would need to tick all the boxes for the "can view" permission - even for new usergroups - which is a FAR more frequent scenario than what you're describing :)

That is indeed working as intended :)

If it did not work like that, people would need to tick all the boxes for the "can view" permission - even for new usergroups - which is a FAR more frequent scenario than what you're describing :)

Ok, I guess I'm confused ...

I am an Admin.. I checked the box for Admin's to be able to "subscribe" and when I go to view the Mailing List in question, it does NOT appear?

I have to also check EVERY "subscribe" box for EVERY user group I (as an Admin) also belong to, in order to have the Mailing List in question appear....

Are you saying that's the way it's been designed? :confused:

What if I only want to have an Admin Mailing List?

Regards,
Doug

I guess here's a better way to put the question ...

Using the attached pic, how do I show within the Mailing List screen, ONLY mailing lists that can be viewed by members of staff checked off, including the original emails themselves, under the circumstances where some of the staff also belong to the "Contribtuting Members" user group and also the "Advisory Panel" user group?

The point of wanting to have just a Staff mailing list would be to send them site information that we don't want to necessarily be viewed by other membership levels, who may also have happened to donate money and became a "Contributing Member", or who sit on on "Advisory Panel" and help other members.

Any advice on how to handle this would be appreciated .... :)

Regards,
Doug

Here's another screen that shows how we'd like to be able to use the option of who can view the Mailing List screen and view past emails themselves ....

We'd only like to see members of the checked user groups to be able to view and subscribe to a Mailing List, whereas any groups checked with "cannot view" are unable to either see that specific Mailing List, or Mailing List or view past emails published under that mailing list.

Thanks ... :)

Regards,
Doug

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 3.32.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 3.32.53 PM.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 3.42.11 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 3.42.11 PM.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
1. If you want an Admin-only mailing list that only Admins can view and subscribe to, then you check the Can Subscribe box for Admins, and Cannot View List for all other usergroups. This assumes you're only a member of Admins.

2. If you tick the "Cannot View List" box, all members of that usergroup (including those who are members of other usergroups) cannot view that mailing list. This is to circumvent the problem of having to constantly edit mailing lists and tick new boxes for new usergroups that should be able to view the mailing list.

1. If you want an Admin-only mailing list that only Admins can view and subscribe to, then you check the Can Subscribe box for Admins, and Cannot View List for all other usergroups. This assumes you're only a member of Admins.

2. If you tick the "Cannot View List" box, all members of that usergroup (including those who are members of other usergroups) cannot view that mailing list. This is to circumvent the problem of having to constantly edit mailing lists and tick new boxes for new usergroups that should be able to view the mailing list.

So, I will not be able to have a staff only mailing list, for we all belong to other additional usergroups also?? Is there a way around this please? (Like only use primary usergroups?)

Last edited:
The solution would be to set up the usergroup matrix in such a way that you're not members of groups that aren't supposed to see the mailing list - i.e. duplicate the "offending" usergroups and give them out to staff only.

If I made this a "can view" instead of a "cannot view" I'd have people saying "oh I need to tick so many boxes to get this sorted, why can't new usergroups see the mailing list!" - I just cannot win :p

The solution would be to set up the usergroup matrix in such a way that you're not members of groups that aren't supposed to see the mailing list - i.e. duplicate the "offending" usergroups and give them out to staff only.

If I made this a "can view" instead of a "cannot view" I'd have people saying "oh I need to tick so many boxes to get this sorted, why can't new usergroups see the mailing list!" - I just cannot win :p

You sure can't win man! ROFL!

But this is really going to be a difficult one for me. There is no additional usergroup I belong to, that some other members don't also belong to. So the only way for me here will be to create another usergroup only staff belongs to? I can't win either....lol

Understood, but unfortunately I don't think we're going to be able to use this mod effectively on our forums, at least with this design logic. :(

We have dozens of custom mods where we set access and viewing by usergroup selection and not encountered this problem before.

We simply want a mailing list to appear for any usergroup that's checked to subscribe to it .... and not appear for any usergroup checked to NOT be able to view it.

I think the current design is going to limit sales revenue, as many forums have their staff and moderators, who also belong to other secondary user groups, which make using this mod for anything other then one large single mailing list pointless. I guess one could create several new usergroups just to use this mod, but I don't think it's necessary when it can be handled as most other mods are. :confused:

Could you help us with a few options for our Lifetime Pro Version License to address this?

1. Can we pay for customization from you? (if so, quote please?)

2. If not, can we obtain permission to hire and pay for another programmer to address this need?

3. If not, can we return the mod for a refund ... with thanks for you efforts ...

Thanks for listening .. :)

Regards,
Doug

Alright fine, I'll flip it around for Final, but if I see a single person complaining about default viewing permissions or having to check lots of boxes, I'm directing them to this thread :p

Understood, but unfortunately I don't think we're going to be able to use this mod effectively on our forums, at least with this design logic. :(

We have dozens of custom mods where we set access and viewing by usergroup selection and not encountered this problem before.

We simply want a mailing list to appear for any usergroup that's checked to subscribe to it .... and not appear for any usergroup checked to NOT be able to view it.

I think the current design is going to limit sales revenue, as many forums have their staff and moderators, who also belong to other secondary user groups, which make using this mod for anything other then one large single mailing list pointless. I guess one could create several new usergroups just to use this mod, but I don't think it's necessary when it can be handled as most other mods are. :confused:

Could you help us with a few options for our Lifetime Pro Version License to address this?

1. Can we pay for customization from you? (if so, quote please?)

2. If not, can we obtain permission to hire and pay for another programmer to address this need?

3. If not, can we return the mod for a refund ... with thanks for you efforts ...

Thanks for listening .. :)

Regards,
Doug

We will be looking for ways to resolve this in future, but meantime you are welcome to hire another coder to edit the code on your site =)

Cosmic

We will be looking for ways to resolve this in future, but meantime you are welcome to hire another coder to edit the code on your site =)

Cosmic

Thanks .... :)

Should we hire someone now, as you seem to be saying that it won't be addressed under the final release as Fillip H. indicated, but rather will simply now be considered for some future release?

Again, with all due respect, I don't think the current approach will maximize your revenue stream, as most sites use secondary usergroups for special use (ie: Contributing Member Status), to which moderators, admins etc also belong. Therefore, the current design limits the number of emailing lists to essentially one, at least in our case.

Thank you for your consideration ..

Regards,
Doug

Thanks .... :)

Should we hire someone now, as you seem to be saying that it won't be addressed under the final release as Fillip H. indicated, but rather will simply now be considered for some future release?

Again, with all due respect, I don't think the current approach will maximize your revenue stream, as most sites use secondary usergroups for special use (ie: Contributing Member Status), to which moderators, admins etc also belong. Therefore, the current design limits the number of emailing lists to essentially one, at least in our case.

Thank you for your consideration ..

Regards,
Doug

We are looking into other options apart from simply flipping the permissions, e.g providing a third "override" permission. This would mean the people who have well structured/designed usergroup matrixes do not have to fiddle with lots of checkboxes (which is the advantage of the current system) but it also means people have who have lots of secondary usergroups are able to configure the options manually.

Whatever direction we choose to go in it is likely, though not guaranteed, to make it in for the gold release.

Cosmic

Yes it did.

Yes, sorry about that .... I just found the extra box that lets me override the NOT VIEW of other user groups ...

The test mail list appears fine for just me as an ADMIN now, even though I also belong to other user groups that are not supposed to view it.... :D

Thank you very mucg ... appreciate it ...

Regards,
Doug

Yes, sorry about that .... I just found the extra box that lets me override the NOT VIEW of other user groups ...

The test mail list appears fine for just me as an ADMIN now, even though I also belong to other user groups that are not supposed to view it.... :D

Thank you very mucg ... appreciate it ...

Regards,
Doug

No problem at all, thanks for the feedback that led us to improving the product =)

Cosmic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBMail

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings