Question how to specify custom templates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moshbit

Customer
I saw this thread here but it doesn't answer the question of how to specify which template to use for a specific mailing list. Hitting the checkbox here:

Screenshot_2020-10-29 Edit mailing list test Squat the Planet - Admin control panel.png

doesn't tell the addon what template to use, just to use 'a custom template'. where is this custom template? I don't see any custom templates at the place you mention here:

so i'm a bit lost. also, is there any documentation for this addon? i can't find it.

Please see the description text in your screenshot - "Custom Template" means that when you are sending your mail, you must construct all of the HTML yourself. "Native Template" wraps the email in XF's standard email wrapper.

There is no manual at this time, sorry.

"Custom Template" means that when you are sending your mail, you must construct all of the HTML yourself.
yes. i understand that. HOW do i specify what template is the custom template. im not seeing HOW to tell the addon WHERE to find the custom template.

When you go to send the email via the mailing list, there will be a text box. All the HTML goes in that box, and if you want to re-use some of the HTML the next time you send an email you will have to paste it all again.

You are thinking of a template like what XenForo uses to render pages, but that's not the case here.

Do you mean the field marked "description:"?

InkedScreenshot_2020-10-29 Edit mailing list test Squat the Planet - Admin control panel(1)_LI.jpg
Cause, that sounds like, you know, a description of what the mailing list is about, not a place you'd insert html.

I'm not seeing anything that matches your screen shots.

Screenshot_2020-10-29 Mailing lists Squat the Planet - Admin control panel.png

this is what my list of mailing lists look like and there aren't any links to a 'custom template', 'unsubscribe', or 'send email'.

Okay, well then you might want to undo your change and look through the front-end to familiarise yourself with the workings of the mod, instead of assuming the front-end was not worth keeping enabled :)

putting in a publicly (i.e. guest users) viewable nav tab and making it an essential part of operating the addon and then giving the option to remove it in the settings doesn't make any sense at all. you have a pretty severe UI issue, don't go blaming it on a user (after providing no documentation) who's trying to understand your convoluted UI that goes against most XF addon conventions, and then have an attitude about it.

putting in a publicly (i.e. guest users) viewable nav tab
Guest users can only view it if you grant them permission to view it. You should leave it enabled for guests, so that guests can see your newsletter history in my opinion, but you don't have to.

and making it an essential part of operating the addon and then giving the option to remove it in the settings doesn't make any sense at all.
I disagree. The reason why it's an essential part of operating the add-on is the fact that this makes it possible to delegate mailing list duties to non-administrators.

you have a pretty severe UI issue, don't go blaming it on a user (after providing no documentation) who's trying to understand your convoluted UI that goes against most XF addon conventions, and then have an attitude about it.
The UI follows all XF addon conventions. The UI & code itself follows every XF standard and uses all standard UI elements in the standard ways it's used.

Furthermore, as far as I can remember, no-one has had difficulties finding the "Send Mail" feature. It's certainly not a frequent enough question that it's stuck in my mind.

I do concede there are certain parts of this add-on that is a bit more convoluted than I like; f.ex. the "Default subscribed" feature. After configuring the default subscribed user group permissions, you need to go to Tools -> Rebuild caches and run the maintenance action for rebuilding default subscribed.

This is pretty unintuitive, but at the time of designing that feature there wasn't a performant way of automatically running that action based on changing user group permissions. There still isn't.

Hello @moshbit,

We hope your ticket regarding DragonByte Mail has been addressed to your satisfaction. This ticket has now been scheduled to be closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, you can reply to this thread at any point in the next 7 days in order to reopen the ticket, afterwards this thread will be closed.

Please do not reply to this thread if your ticket has been resolved.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Hello @moshbit,

As we have not heard back from you, your ticket regarding DragonByte Mail has now been closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, please feel free to start a new support ticket and link back to this ticket.

If you have time, please leave a review on XenForo.com's Resource Manager.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonByte Mail

XenForo 1.5.3+ XenForo 2.0.x XenForo 2.1.x XenForo 2.2.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating