Status
Not open for further replies.

grc

Customer
I saw in the beta release what I understood to be automatic thread coloring as posts are thanked. Having installed 2.0.1 I'm not seeing anywhere to activate/manage that function. Was that only in the beta version or am I just not seeing it? If it's there, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Button Manager :)

Click Edit for each button, then enter your colour threshold number (i.e. in the Thanks button, 5 means when the post has received 5 thanks) and select the colour from the dropdown.

Thanks - found it. The dialogue says "Colour: Either a Hex code like #000000 or a HTML Colour like black. Blank = Ignore." I take from that that I should be able to enter a specific color in Hex - but I don't see how to do that. All I have is a drop down box with pre-defined colors and no where to enter a Hex code. Is it possible to enter a color in Hex and if so, could you tell me how?

Sorry, that's a remnant of something I tried to do but failed. I will update the text in the next version. My bad :(

Okay - well, in light of that let me make a suggestion to you. Rather than pre-selecting a group of primary colors, how about a couple of families of ever intensive colors from the same color family. I'd think the idea is that the more "thanks" the brighter the color would be best.

So...in yellows:
pale yellow: #FFFFCC
light yellow: #FFFF99
yellow: #FFFF66
dark yellow: #FFFF33

then do the same thing with a set of greens and grays.

That would, I think, be better than all fairly dark primary colors as you are offering now.

PS I grabbed my examples from http://www.december.com/html/spec/colorsafe.html

It's quite time consuming to add new colours, so we decided to go with the standard ones for the time being until we can gauge the popularity of the feature :)

Understand - I don't think I'll use it because the stronger colors all look pretty bad with the few styles I have.

What you can do, if you're not afraid of some template edits, is to customise dbtech_thanks.css and change one of the stronger colours to the colour you want. For instance, changing the Black to one of the hexes you mention would display that, even though internally it's still called Black.

It should be pretty straightforward to find the line(s) in that CSS Template to edit, but feel free to let me know if you have problems finding it :)

Ha - I actually just finished doing that with yellow.

I'll mention though that I also tried to change a series of them - so I'd have different levels of yellow. I only changed the "background-color" attribute and not the names...in other words, I tried to make "silver" into a pale yellow, "gray" a darker yellow, and "black" a pure yellow. However when I installed the edited xml and tried to set the levels for 3/6/9 thanks all of them were the same pale yellow.

At that point I decided to just change the xml's yellow css to the pale yellow and leave the others alone. I edited only the first choice for 4 clicks and the yellow. Now all posts with 4 clicks or more are pale yellow.

Last edited:
You can always just edit the template instead of editing the xml then reuploading it :)

Yeah, editing the css is easier -- thanks.

Try this: try setting up different colors for different numbers of "thanks." As far as I can tell, no matter how many colors you define, the first level is the only one that works - all posts, no matter how many thanks above the first number are the same color.

---------- Post added 30th October 2011 at 08:04 ---------- Previous post was 29th October 2011 at 21:38 ----------

A quick follow up - I made 4 clicks yellow and then, just trying to make it work, 6 clicks result in red. It didn't make any difference for me (using Chrome but I don't know if that has anything to do with it). Since it didn't make any difference to me, I forgot to change it back. This morning I had some users complaining about the red background...so it did work.

Maybe theres a problem making it switch colours on the fly then, Ill look into it :)

Something else - but related - I have a couple of custom buttons - as far as I can tell, the colors don't work at all for them.

Here's another. One of my guys pointed this out to me and I was just able duplicate it. I have only one color trigger: yellow at 4 clicks. It works until the 10th click. Upon number 10 the color disappears from the post and it reverts to the regular post background color.

Could you please test whether 10 is a breaking point regardless of what you set as the threshold?

Testing 10 clicks is quite a difficult on my computer when there's just me, myself and my 4 browsers installed so I want to be sure before I begin :)

Glad to check -- I changed it to 6 clicks and then down to 3 clicks - didn't make any difference, the color disappeared on click #10.

I see... Well I guess I'll come up with a way to test this then xD

I've written it all down and I'll get to it as soon as I can :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy Advanced Post Thanks / Like

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back