Status
Not open for further replies.

tactics

Customer
Hi,

Cheers so far, really impressed with the mod! I am running VBSEO on the forum so think this may be part of the issue but if you have any suggestions on how fix I would be really grateful. Also I have the mod running on a devel version of the forum, I can PM you IP address if you want to see it.

I have cloud location set to "Below Posts", cloud style set to "No Header", and Disable Postbit Stats Collapse to "No". I do have VBSEO running on the forum and the URLs are output in this format:

http://domain.com/forumname/91946-post-title.html

If you go to a post and click the "Post Thanks/Like"selector the stats are shown correctly, click it again and the close. Now click thank or like, click the "Post Thanks/Like"selector again and you are taken to http://domain.com/forumname/-post.html#top and served a 404.

Many Thanks,

Tactics

The reason for that is because it refreshes the postbit whenever you click a button. There's no way to fix it that I know of, but it will work again on a refresh. It's essentially a minor issue that doesn't affect the normal operation of the forum.

Hi Fillip H.,

Thanks for the info but to me this is essentially broken. I am almost at the point of implementing this and due to the expand / collapse not working after click I thought I would just leave the thing expanded. Unfortunately on click the number of likes etc disappears! This is a fundamental flaw in your system as far as I am concerned and I know that my geeky forum users will pick up on this very quickly. There has to be a solution for this somehow. I will get a developer here to have a look and will let you know if there is anything that we can come up with to fix this but a little bit more effort on your behalf as well would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tactics

Disclaimer: Everything in this post is my personal opinion and does not represent the stance of DragonByte Tech as a company regarding this issue.

Would you be able to elaborate as to why you consider this a "fundamental flaw"?

It does not prevent a single aspect of the mod from working. The counters get incremented when buttons are clicked. You are able to click other buttons, even in other posts. Notifications are still being sent. Integration with other mods like vBActivity is still working (points increment).

I can't see a single piece of actual functionality that is disrupted by the fact that those statistics do not display correctly for the brief moment before the user navigates away from the page.

A fundamental flaw and not working correctly IMO as you have the text:

Likes (Given):
Likes (Received):

This is supposed to show the number of likes given and received. When like is clicked this information is not there anymore, and that to me means it doesn't work. It should show the number of likes and it doesn't, therefore it is flawed. How do you consider this not to be broken?

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post: Why do you consider this a fundamental flaw, and not just a display issue?

A "fundamental flaw" to me means "a problem at the root of the software that affects every area of it, causing no areas of it to perform as expected".

This is clearly not the case, which is why I personally believe that this minor display issue is being blown out of proportion.

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my previous post: Why do you consider this a fundamental flaw, and not just a display issue?

A "fundamental flaw" to me means "a problem at the root of the software that affects every area of it, causing no areas of it to perform as expected".

This is clearly not the case, which is why I personally believe that this minor display issue is being blown out of proportion.

If no areas of the software worked that would be fundamentally fuxxed, not flawed. The definition of flaw is:
flaw - definition of flaw by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

1. An imperfection, often concealed, that impairs soundness

It is an impairment in the software, and IMO if clicking like leads to the collapse / expand button resulting in a 404 when clicked or the number of likes / thanks disappearing if the system is set to stay expanded by default then it is not a clean solution and it is broken. What else could the introduction of a link that leads to a 404 be other than broken? You could hardly say that this was well designed or working as expected could you? Or if you do then you certainly have much lower standards as to what is acceptable than I do :D

I do appreciate that this is a fiddly bugger as the ramifications of updating the postbit on the fly for all instances of that user on the thread when one like is clicked does sound tricky. The problem is that I know my forum users will slaughter me if I introduce this - they are all techie people so will pick up on this.

Will have a look at this over the next few days and will let you know if we manage to fix it. The fact that the information disappears (number of thanks / likes etc) then surely it means that you are trying to do something with the information in the postbit?

Ah ha!
I'd just come on to report exactly the same issue as tactics. We've had a number of complaints that users are receiving 404 pages when trying to check how many likes/thanks a user has received after they have given one.

I also think that this is a flaw with the plugin and would be interested if you come up with a solution tactics

edit: have just noticed that you exclude the postbit from your forum lol! Wouldn't it be easier to not update the postbit at all and then increment it on page refresh rather than completely wiping it and making the dropdown link 404??

Last edited:
Just been looking at thsi...

Could you maybe add a class to the <dd>? e.g.

<dt>Likes (Given)</dt>
<dd></dd>
<dt>Likes (Received)</dt>
<dd></dd>

BECOMES

<dt>Likes (Given)</dt>
<dd class="likesgiven-USERID"></dd>
<dt>Likes (Received)</dt>
<dd class="likesrecv-USERID"></dd>

and then in thanks.js

$(".likesgiven-USERID") = parseInt($(".likesgiven-USERID").html())+1;

under
$('#dbtech_thanks_actions_' + postid).html(data.actions); (line 80)
or something?

This should then update all like/thanks stats for that user on the loaded page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy Advanced Post Thanks / Like

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating