Question Choice of Cache, MemCache, XCache or Redis, but which on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWS600

Customer
Okay i have a new dedicated server running Php 5.6.16, this has opcode caching built in(not sure if VBOptimise makes use of this op code cache).
I have a choice of installing any caching server, but which one would be best to go for? Redis is fairly new I believe, so perhaps works better on the later PHP versions?

I can install Memcache, Redis, or XCache.

At present I am using FileCache, I have SSD's fitted to the server so running quite quick anyway. I'm trying to get my page render time down, certainly for quests. Full page guest caching is working, I would like to shave of another 50ms or more from the time to first byte time if possible. Perhaps one of these caching methods would do that.

Does one offer advantage over the other?

Hi there,

Here @ DBTech we use XCache, it's fairly easy to install as it's integrated into cPanel's EasyApache. Some server types have problems with it, if they are not running PHP in a compatible mode.

Memcache is designed for distributed servers, e.g. if you have more than one site and Memcache is running on a central server. It can be ran on a single server, but the overhead is very large.

I've had no experience with Redis so I can't really offer any comment on that, sorry :(

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. I had xCache on my old server. So will go down that path again.

Thanks again.
Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vB Optimise

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating