"Please enter a value for all required fields": checkout flow improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gangleider

Customer
Hi,

We recently deployed the eCommerce addon and are very happy with it! However, people have started contacting me about an "issue" some of them are running into: they think they can't check out when purchasing items with mandatory order fields.

You need to fill out the fields and click "save" before you can proceed to payment, but it seems many users don't understand this. They fill out the field and expect that to be enough - which I can sort of understand.

Is there any way this extra step could be taken out? For example, by adding a check to save order fields automatically if a user clicks "proceed to payment" and there is valid data filled in.

See image:
1670323363388.png

Hi there,

It's been a while since the form was designed, but the reason is that they're two separate forms. The order fields' save button performs different actions than the "Proceed to payment" button. The reason for this is the fact that the "Proceed to payment" button immediately goes to the payment provider if there's only one payment provider active.

It would not be possible to perform "save order form -> load payment provider" because different payment providers have different methods of initialisation. Certain payment providers load a custom JavaScript overlay frame when you click "Proceed to payment", and whether this is the case is essentially unknowable.

I'll keep this ticket open for now to see if there's anything I can do to change this, but I wouldn't hold my breath unfortunately. Sorry I couldn't bring better news :(

Update: I've looked into this further and I have been able to make some improvements. The way it will function in the next update is as follows:
  • Pressing either the "Save" button or the "Proceed to payment" button will save most form entries
  • If the coupon code, VAT ID or store credit amount has changed, the form will be reloaded regardless of what button is pressed
    • This is because these fields affect the price, which has to be reflected to the customer
  • If only custom fields have changed, the payment process will commence if "Proceed to payment" button is pressed, and the form fields will still save

Thank you for suggesting this feature, it has now been implemented. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future release (3.2.2).

Change log:
Feature: Improved checkout flow to reduce friction when filling out custom checkout fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonByte eCommerce

XenForo 2.0.6+ XenForo 2.1.x XenForo 2.2.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
4.83 star(s) 6 ratings
Back