Question permissions and file owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

madness85

Customer
Shouldn't everything under /internal_data/ be 777? just been looking at my files and found php files for this addon in /internal_data/code_cache/templates/l1/s0/public with permissions 666 and they are owned by the php pool user www-data, not my user.

No, the permissions are right. They need to be writable by the web server.
Dam, I've already changed the owner/permissions of the files. Should I reinstall it?

I normally have the owner/group of all files my sftp user and not www-data, php/apache user.

I made some changes:

All files 644
All directories 755

/data/ /internal_data/
All files 666
All directories 777

Im just not sure on the owner/group of files? should everything be www-data or my user?

Please do not change the file permissions or the owner/group. These files are automatically created by the web server, and you need to leave all permissions and owner/group as they were.

Please do not change the file permissions or the owner/group. These files are automatically created by the web server, and you need to leave all permissions and owner/group as they were.
Sadly i had already made the changes. Now I need to know who should be the Owner of files/folders :(

I can’t tell you, as this is specific to your web server. You will potentially encounter errors with your entire XenForo installation if you have made files and folders unwritable to your web server.

I would strongly recommend you wait for new files and folders to be generated and copy their permissions rather than try to guess.

I can’t tell you, as this is specific to your web server. You will potentially encounter errors with your entire XenForo installation if you have made files and folders unwritable to your web server.

I would strongly recommend you wait for new files and folders to be generated and copy their permissions rather than try to guess.
If I make all files/directories owned by php user www-data I can't upload files by sftp user (no permission)

If I make all files owned by my user, I can't auto update xenforo from the panel and any files addons make owned by Web server I can't edit.

Its very unclear who should be the Owner of all files/directories.

This is why those files should never have been modified to begin with, as it is not necessary for you to be able to manage them via SFTP.

It is unclear because the correct owner varies by the web server, so consider installing a fresh copy of XenForo in another directory in another database and copy whatever file permissions it uses.

Then leave those files alone forever :p

It is unclear because the correct owner varies by the web server, so consider installing a fresh copy of XenForo in another directory in another database and copy whatever file permissions it uses.
The owner will be the sftp user that uploaded them :)

That's not the php/apache user www-data.

Hello @madness85,

We hope your ticket regarding DragonByte Security has been addressed to your satisfaction. This ticket has now been scheduled to be closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, you can reply to this thread at any point in the next 7 days in order to reopen the ticket, afterwards this thread will be closed.

Please do not reply to this thread if your ticket has been resolved.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Hello @madness85,

As we have not heard back from you, your ticket regarding DragonByte Security has now been closed.

If your ticket has not been resolved, please feel free to start a new support ticket and link back to this ticket.

If you have time, please leave a review on XenForo.com's Resource Manager.

Thank you.

- DragonByte Technologies, Ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonByte Security

XenForo 1.5.3+ XenForo 2.0.x XenForo 2.1.x XenForo 2.2.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating