Status
Not open for further replies.

whites

Customer
Good morning,

I cannot post new messages in vbShout. I receive the following error.

Error: Invalid Message Specified
Invalid Message Specified
Invalid Message Specified

I seem to recall that the chat was working as of July 20th when I updated to vbShout 6.0.8. I have not made any major changes since then.

I tried to track down the problem, and I left off in dbtech/vbshout/actions/ajax/save.php. After the call to clean_array_gpc(), $_REQUEST['message'] contains a non-empty string, but self::$vbulletin->GPC['message'] contains an empty string.

I am using PHP 5.3.16

Can you recommend some steps to troubleshoot this?

Thank you,

-Ben

I uploaded a clean copy of vBulletin and vbShout, but the problem persists.

-Ben

Last edited:
Could you please create and PM me with a temporary FTP and AdminCP account?

For security reasons, we recommend you create a new FTP account only for DBTech support, then disable or delete it after we have both confirmed the issue has been solved and there are no further issues.

The same applies to AdminCP accounts; they should ideally be temporary accounts created for us only. If we have created an account on your site already, you can optionally boost that account to Administrator and then de-admin this account once the issue has been solved.

If you use a .htaccess password protection for your AdminCP directory, it is recommended that you create a new authorised user for DBTech and remove this user once the issue has been solved.

Please test any temporary accounts you create to ensure that the FTP account has access to the forum files, and that the AdminCP account can access the administrative controls for the product we are assisting you with.

Ensuring this is all in order before submitting the information will significantly speed up the process of assisting you. We will alert you via PM if there's any issues with the login information you have provided.

When sending the PM, for your security you should also un-tick the "Save a copy in my Sent Items folder" checkbox. When the access details have been received, we will delete the PM from our inbox. Ensuring you have not kept a copy of the PM reduces the risk of security breaches.

Thank you for helping us debug our products and allowing us to assist you, we appreciate it :D

For some reason, your /dbtech/vbshout/clientscript/vbshout.js was missing 3KB worth of data and also attempted to run all AJAX requests as GET requests. The act of saving a shout, amongst many other things, is by default a POST request.

Can you think of anyone who might have modified the file?

In either case, I've re-uploaded the default vbshout.js file and shout posting / deleting (I deleted my test shout) is now working as intended :)

You should delete the temporary AdminCP and FTP accounts now :)

I think the 3KB worth of data was the result of the unzip command converting vbshout.js from MS-DOS to Unix line endings (\n versus \r\n).

I did upload the original vbshout files as you requested. I reloaded vbshout.js in my browser to verify that it loaded the script. The problem persisted. I think that although I saw the original script in my browser window, the browser was running the cached script. I should have been more careful to clear the cache.

I am responsible for changing the script to use the GET method. At some point Apache started logging errors like the following [1]. That happened because the Javascript variable "type" contained the value "shouts1", which is not a valid HTTP method. As a workaround, I substituted the value 'GET' instead of the variable "type". That seemed to fix the problem at the time. I think it must have caused errors when I updated to vbShout 6.0.8, but I failed to detect it as a result of my confusion about the browser cache, namely that the browser may run a different script than is shown in the browser window.

Thank you for your time. I apologize for the confusion on my part.

-Ben

[1]
75.57.221.18 - - [11/Jun/2012:22:49:20 -0400] "SHOUTS1 /dbtech/vbshout/aop/shouts1.txt?v=10105292501048.246 HTTP/1.1" 501 332 "http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/vbshout.php?do=detach&instanceid=1" [^] "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legacy vBShout

vBulletin 3.8.x vBulletin 4.x.x
Seller
DragonByte Technologies
Release date
Last update
Total downloads
Customer rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Back