DragonByte Tech | vBulletin Mods & Addons - Powered by vBulletin

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: What's next for DBTech with XenForo?

Forum: Website / Company Feedback & Suggestions

Have something to tell us? A suggestion on how to make us improve our site or your experience using it? Post it here, we'd be happy to hear it!

Level 6 (3,858 Loyalty Points)
    User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsActivity Stats

Question What's next for DBTech with XenForo?

The lawsuit is finally over: Lawsuits Over, Next..! | XenForo Community

Do you guys have any plans to extend your awesome mods to XenForo again?

I think if you guys were to convert few of your "popular" mods over, I think it would be a great reception to the mod community over there.

I'd like to hear from the owners and staff members about this.

Managing Director
    Level 0 (382 Loyalty Points)
    Blog Entries

We'll wait and see how the software and community develops first - what put us off last time wasn't the lawsuit, it was the horrible attitude of a proportion of the community over there

We would have to essentially build the paid markets mod for xF up from scratch and it's hard to push yourself to work at a loss for several months to build an uncertain market, which is what we would have to commit to.

If the community there was a friendly one that appreciated and encouraged the work it would be one thing, but we had a different experience. People were actively looking for reasons to complain and insult us, there was an attitude of "your mods/pricing/copyright should work the way we say so, or we're going to attack you".

TL;DR We lost money doing it last time and the community was so unfriendly and abrasive that we have no desire to release our work to those people. We might re-examine xF down the road if the community changes or the profitability equation is different, but for now we have no plans.
    Iain Kidd
    Founder & Managing Director
    DragonByte Technologies Ltd www.DragonByte-Tech.com
    Like our products? Want to be notified on social media networks when we release updates or new products? Click the buttons below to Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Follow us on Google+!

Quote Originally Posted by Decado View Post
    We'll wait and see how the software and community develops first - what put us off last time wasn't the lawsuit, it was the horrible attitude of a proportion of the community over there

We would have to essentially build the paid markets mod for xF up from scratch and it's hard to push yourself to work at a loss for several months to build an uncertain market, which is what we would have to commit to.

If the community there was a friendly one that appreciated and encouraged the work it would be one thing, but we had a different experience. People were actively looking for reasons to complain and insult us, there was an attitude of "your mods/pricing/copyright should work the way we say so, or we're going to attack you".

TL;DR We lost money doing it last time and the community was so unfriendly and abrasive that we have no desire to release our work to those people. We might re-examine xF down the road if the community changes or the profitability equation is different, but for now we have no plans.
    Hi Decado, thank you for the detailed post.
    At one point I was not so crazy about the copyright and all the footer information, but that's in the past, I love what you guys have done so far, also I was privileged over the past year or so to work with you guys on various beta releases.
    I like how much feedback you guys take from users, and how good your support has been also.
    I am ready to leave vBulletin for XenForo because I feel that XenForo would offer a better solution for my community vs staying with vBulletin.

Now that the lawsuit is over, I think the attitude of people will greatly be changed, and I think it would welcome more premium developers in their community.

I've invested a lot of money in DragonByte Tech plugins, I'd hate to lose them all, I just wish someday these mods would get ported over, but of course If they don't sell well then it would not make sense as a company to switch over, I'd think releasing some of your most popular plugins (instead of vBSignature/avatar) would also help because I doubt anyone over XenForo can match the quality of your plugins.

I am at this point not sure what the feature will hold for vBulletin 5, the system is nice, but it lacks so many basic features that my community needs that it would not make sense to even consider vB5 ready for what I really need it for for at least another 3-4 years to say the minimum based on how fast vB's development has been moving for the last few years.

Oh well, I am done ranting hehe.

Level 37 (19,116 Loyalty Points)
    Blog Entries

What is it that XenForo has that you don't have in vB4.2

My Free Mods are available at OzzModz.com they are no longer available on vB.org

New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Updated

Please do NOT PM me for Support, Ask for support in the relevant forums.
    I no longer work for DBTech and cannot offer official help with any questions or problems, please contact a member of the DBTech team for information on products and support. Any support I may give is unofficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy47 View Post
    What is it that XenForo has that you don't have in vB4.2
    Well for starters I love the UI, it's very intuitive, the notification system is light years better than what vBulletin uses.

Also the product feels much quicker than vBulletin.
    I like the how simple it feels created and replying to a thread compared to vBulletin.
    The editor feels neater too compared to what vBulletin 4.2 uses.

The jQuery usercard is very nice also, PM'ing users make it a breeze.

With that said, most of my users are on the fence about this, we are getting a 60/40 reaction in favor of vBulletin, but that's because we only been using vBulletin since 2004.

I feel that the change up with draw more registration to the website, will promote more posting habits and so on..

Level 7 (4,002 Loyalty Points)

Quote Originally Posted by IcEWoLF View Post
    Well for starters I love the UI, it's very intuitive, the notification system is light years better than what vBulletin uses.

Also the product feels much quicker than vBulletin.
    I like the how simple it feels created and replying to a thread compared to vBulletin.
    This is how I feel exactly. I am ready to move Threads: 195,013, Posts: 1,548,767, Members: 728,137 from vb to xf.

I hope in the next 6 months, things really go well for xf, the market share increases, and the mod community thrives and then I hope dbtech will come on over and join us

Although I will miss all the great plugins from dbtech, I feel my board needs this fresh change more than anything.
    Testing Sig

BTW @Decado @Belazor, have you guys considered making plugins for IPS (Off topic)

Managing Director
    Blog Entries

The market over at IPS isn't strong enough to be honest.

The absolute best selling products there of all time, on the marketplace that's part of their site, only get 5-600 sales, and tend to sell for $15-$35. Only 4 mods have ever sold more than 400 copies, despite the super low price points.

For perspective, our best selling mod (out of about 60) has made more money than their best selling mod (out of about 1800). That's despite it being sold on the official IPB site, and our mods being available only from DBTech.

I looked into IPS way wayyyy back when and decided the modding scene over there just wasn't as big as at vB - people who want to mod their forum buy vBulletin instead, basically.

TL;DR No plans to go into IPS just now, the number of people there who will actually buy mods is still too small.
    Last edited by Decado; 5th March 2013 at 12:42.
    Iain Kidd
    Like our products? Want to be notified on social media networks when we release updates or new products? Click the buttons below to Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Follow us on Google+!

Managing Director
    Blog Entries

Found something amusing that pretty much sums up the attitude and type of people who make up the xF modding community:

Here is a guy taking exception to us pointing out coding for xF is a little more cumbersome than for vB5 by calling us amateurs:

Xenforo codebase less plugin-friendly | XenForo Community

And this is the same guy who called US amateurs running about 6 months over on a 2 month project he got paid $2k for:

Crowd fund MercDesign Media Gallery | XenForo Community

That guy is what the xF crowd considers a "professional". Guys like him who promise the world and don't deliver are what people compare our pricing strategies, copyright locations etc to. Basically we're expected to do it the same way as the guys who can't make any money or we have to deal with insults. Hell even when we're not around we're being insulted apparently! :P

I spent today looking around the xF community in depth to see if it HAD changed since we last gave it a shot. Sadly it has not.
    Iain Kidd

Quote Originally Posted by Decado View Post
    Found something amusing that pretty much sums up the attitude and type of people who make up the xF modding community:

Here is a guy taking exception to us pointing out coding for xF is a little more cumbersome than for vB5 by calling us amateurs:

Xenforo codebase less plugin-friendly | XenForo Community

And this is the same guy who called US amateurs running about 6 months over on a 2 month project he got paid $2k for:

Crowd fund MercDesign Media Gallery | XenForo Community

That guy is what the xF crowd considers a "professional". Guys like him who promise the world and don't deliver are what people compare our pricing strategies, copyright locations etc to. Basically we're expected to do it the same way as the guys who can't make any money or we have to deal with insults. Hell even when we're not around we're being insulted apparently! :P

I spent today looking around the xF community in depth to see if it HAD changed since we last gave it a shot. Sadly it has not.
    The other day I was comparing his donation plugin with yours ...the same guy that was trolling with you guys on the above post made the following post yesterday:
    Donation Manager [Paid] | Page 27 | XenForo Community

This is the post it truly got me like, wow this guy is cocky.

I have looked at many donation plugins in various areas and have yet to see one that has been done better than this. The fact the ones you talk about are on vBulletin make me highly doubt they compare in the slightest. I make professional add-ons and this is one of them

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information