DragonByte Tech | vBulletin Mods & Addons - Powered by vBulletin

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Thread: DBTech vBulletin and XenForo

Forum: Off-Topic

Talk about anything that doesn't fit in another forum, but don't spam!

Level 4 (2,748 Loyalty Points)
    User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsActivity Stats

Google Chrome, Safari, FireFox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Flock are the browsers I use daily.
    PalPadPark | SimplifyChinese | Selling a vBulletin 4 Suite license here

Level 4 (2,893 Loyalty Points)

Well, it does have one thing going for it that I do respect = it isn't free.

I totally believe in paying for software..... good software.

-DB

Level 0 (550 Loyalty Points)

Quote Originally Posted by daddybird292 View Post
    I understand what you're saying = the web IS fast.

But your comparing what I'd call a "flash in the pan" to over reaching tech.
    Ok, but there are not a correct comparison. Microsoft has a monopoly in the OS world...VB can not obligate the hosters and forum admin to use it xD

Also, Microsoft is easier than Linux for the newbie for use. That's very important, K.I.S.S. (keep it simple and stupid). Try Xenforo for a week, and tell me if is easier of vb (for navigation, usability, etc.). Many users complain the execcise difficulty of the VB and IPB interface. But the interface of XF is similar to Facebook, very friendly, easy and funny. That is a great advantage. For a user friendly pointview, Linux is vbulletin (many unused features, many bloat and a complicate interface etc.) and Xenforo is MS (easy).

Xenforo, PHPbbs and all the others may have an impact in the short term = but in the long term, VB will win. Whatever VB needs will be adopted, stolen, whatever.
    The main problem imho of vb that heir development is very slow. Was the reason? VB has over 1000 open bugs, and with this incredible amout of bugs, you can't innovate and introduce new feature or change the frontend. The user needs first a stable product.

I liked the reaction of IPB, that ispired of many feature of Xenforo for satisfy their users. VB reaction? Nothing! A new version with 2 unasked integrations...

IMHO the success of Xenforo depends mainly on VB Big Boards switch, like Digital Point, AvForums etc...the second is planning a switch in the first term, and it's probably that DP switch in this year.

Well, it does have one thing going for it that I do respect = it isn't free.

I totally believe in paying for software..... good software.
    Totally agree with this. Now the main advantage of VB is the good number of premium mod/mod creators that creates great products and supports it (Vbseo, DB-Tech, forumcoding, vbcover etc.). Xenforo doesen't has this...and now this a problem. I don't like to have "free mods" that you are obligated to donate to the author just for a "bit" of support and you are not sure to have regular updates and bug fix...that is the reason because i suggest often to DBT to speed the conversion. xD
    Attending a stable vb version...
    Excuse my bad english, i'm from Italy!

We disagree, and that's cool

I went back and was reading about the history around the purchase of VB.
    It seems to me that they sold the company right in the middle of dev for VB4 (the product itself being a selling point for the buyout), and then were fighting the new management (actually not that uncommon).
    With that in mind, VB4 is probably not anything like what was planned - fighting takes up plenty of time and energy.
    Changing staff mid/late-project, training them, and getting them "seasoned" takes time. That explains the bugs to me - and any unrealized features that were planned but delayed till then next version.

I'm mixed. One on hand, XenForo has a tough road a 'ho.
    BUT I do believe people make a difference.
    Certainly a couple guys is more agile than a big company with multi departments/products.
    So I'll be watching.
    If they're ticked off and hungry - maybe.
    If Internet Brands has a mad genius tinkering in the back with something to prove, then I still say VB will win.
    If Internet Brands is just some big company that only cares about a product portfolio = then it'll decrease, and get sold off to someone who is hungry (DBTECH acquires Vbulletin!!).

Do agree with ya on the mod's point. 100%

-DB

I'm agree, a big company with an insane amount of economics resources has a great advantage, but i don't understand because the development are soooo slow. They are a great amount of employers, and IB acquire Jelsoft years ago...and now i don't see a difference. Users waiting a stable version for years...

If Internet Brands is just some big company that only cares about a product portfolio = then it'll decrease, and get sold off to someone who is hungry (DBTECH acquires Vbulletin!!).
    IB already sold to a Private Equity firm:
    http://www.dmwmedia.com/news/2010/09...rm-640-million

Do agree with ya on the mod's point. 100%
    I see that the other vb professional coders (forumcoding, vbcover) already planned to port their mods to Xenforo. I'm sure that when xenforo resolve the claim with IB, many professional coders and stylers port their works to Xenforo. It's like the little David and Golia, lol.
    Last edited by Maximilian2; 8th April 2011 at 18:13.

Level 9 (5,311 Loyalty Points)

Money doesn't mean progress. Unfortunately I have to deal with that reality every day in my own job. We have 90,000 employees and are pretty much one of the top tech companies in the world and yet... to get anything accomplished around here requires an act of God. It's BECAUSE we are such a large company and have so much money that it slows things down.

I have no doubt that XF will succeed, how well it succeeds is yet to be determined though.
    -Trekkan
    Just For Fun Gaming Community (JFF) (XenForo back on vB again)
    www.jffgaming.com

Just for fun.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsT0Sod377I

So funny, and on topic.

"I am IPB forums"
    Vbulletin: "Get out of here"
    XenForo: "Seriously, no one likes you anyway"

-DB

LOL, nice video.

Level 4 (2,748 Loyalty Points)

I am disappointed that my vBulletin DBT products are now useless. I moved to xenForo.

Google Chrome, Safari, FireFox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Flock are the browsers I use daily.
    PalPadPark | SimplifyChinese | Selling a vBulletin 4 Suite license here

Level 37 (19,116 Loyalty Points)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fufu View Post
    I am disappointed that my vBulletin DBT products are now useless. I moved to xenForo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Decado View Post
    What Trekkan said essentially.

We do have a number of mods being ported to XF at the moment, but it is being done between updates and new vBulletin mods.

Our first responsibility is to our current customers - we've had very few indicate they have switched to XenForo, and we said that when we go into XF it won't cause any delays on our vb software - thats a promise we intend to keep.

XF is still part of our long term plans, but unless a bunch of customers tell us they have switched it will be done as and when time is available, and not be our main priority.

Hope that clears the situation up!

Iain
    Switching is your choice, and as stated by Decado they are working on porting their mods to XF

My Free Mods are available at OzzModz.com they are no longer available on vB.org

New vBulletin Spider Definitions, vBulletin Spiders List Updated

Please do NOT PM me for Support, Ask for support in the relevant forums.
    I no longer work for DBTech and cannot offer official help with any questions or problems, please contact a member of the DBTech team for information on products and support. Any support I may give is unofficial.

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Thread Information