Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Filecache never purged

Forum: vB Optimise Lite Support

Questions & Answers for vB Optimise.
Click here to buy!

Level 0 (0 Loyalty Points)

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsActivity Stats

Default Filecache never purged

We just installed Vboptimise yesterday and are using the filecache for guest caching (I'm not sure if storing whole HTML pages in APC is a good idea). The problem is that we have 1500 guests online at one time and the filecache folder has already grown to 3GB. So now, when trying to perform maintenance on the site, like adding a product, Vboptimise tries to purge the cache but PHP times out before it can complete.

Looking at the timestamps, I can see that vboptimise never purged a single file. The oldest is March 10, 14:26 (Current time is March 11, 08:39)

So I guess I've got a couple of questions

1: Will running a cron job to automatically purge files older than 30 minutes cause any problems with Vboptimise?
    2. What is the recommended cache for guest caching?
    0 0 0

Filecache never purged Send PM  

Founder
    Blog Entries

Hi there,

Your site is actually listed on our piracy tracker as having an illegal version of vB Optimise - we checked manually and there are indeed unlicensed Pro files for this product on your server.

For obvious reasons we are unable to support people using illegal versions of our software, please purchase licenses for these products to use them legally.

Regards,
    Fillip Hannisdal
    Founder & Programming Director
    DragonByte Technologies http://www.DragonByte-Tech.com

Please do not Private Message me with support requests or product questions. PMs are only for exchanging sensitive information (like FTP / AdminCP logins).
    Please do not Private Message me with business related queries (refunds, complaints, feedback, etc). Decado is the person to PM for those issues.
    Please do not Private Message Decado with support requests or forum errors.

When I say "Hotfix Released" it means you should re-download the product and re-upload the files.
    Like our products? Want to be notified on social media networks when we release updates or new products? Click the buttons below to Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Follow us on Google+!
    0 0 1

You're joking, right? We just purchased the pro license yesterday. Check again.
    0 0 0

Founder
    Blog Entries

We have no records of your forum account ever initiating a transaction (what counts as "initiating a transaction" is adding items to cart, click "checkout" and then clicking the "Pay with PayPal" button), much less completing a payment.

If you believe this is in error, please send me a Private Message with the primary email address associated with your PayPal account so that I can search our PayPal account for any transactions from this email.
    Fillip Hannisdal

Please do not Private Message me with support requests or product questions. PMs are only for exchanging sensitive information (like FTP / AdminCP logins).
    Please do not Private Message me with business related queries (refunds, complaints, feedback, etc). Decado is the person to PM for those issues.

When I say "Hotfix Released" it means you should re-download the product and re-upload the files.
    Like our products? Want to be notified on social media networks when we release updates or new products? Click the buttons below to Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Follow us on Google+!
    0 0 1

Image removed...
    Last edited by Kevin C; 11th March 2014 at 17:14.
    0 0 0

I can see our license when I log in to our corporate account. I can download the software. Why is it that you can't see it? See the screenshot above. It clearly shows our license number.
    0 0 0

To be clear - The forum account that made the purchase is NOT the forum account I'm using here. But that shouldn't matter. I'm requesting support for a domain that is NOT running a pirated copy of the software.
    0 0 0

Founder
    Blog Entries

My apologies, I can see the license now. It did not register previously because of the differing forum accounts - we generally ask to have the license holder post support queries but I understand that in certain cases that can be logistically difficult.

I have unflagged your site now

---
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    1: Will running a cron job to automatically purge files older than 30 minutes cause any problems with Vboptimise?
    This is not something we've had any experience with or ran any tests on, so you may experience unexpected behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    2. What is the recommended cache for guest caching?
    Guest caching uses the same cacher as the rest of vB Optimise, and we recommend APC or XCache for single-server solutions (web and database on the same server) or Memcache for multi-server solutions (dedicated DB servers).
    Fillip Hannisdal

0 0 0

We have separate web and DB servers. We also have many VB installations on each of our web servers. Why do you recommend Memcache when the servers are separate?

Just trying to understand how this system is best implemented / how we're going to get the best performance. Because we have several sites that we're looking at using this on, but need to make sure we're getting the best performance before deciding if we buy another license.
    0 0 0

Founder
    Blog Entries

If you have a dedicated DB server with a lot of RAM, then your setup is exactly what Memcache is designed to be excellent at handling
    Memcache is designed to work in the same way as XCache and APC (that is, storing cached items in RAM for super fast access) with one twist; it's actually a daemon that runs on your server. That way, you can have a dedicated DB server with lots and lots of super fast RAM, and all servers on your private network can connect via LAN to receive gigabit speeds when transferring the data.

The end result is that your web servers have all their RAM available for Apache (or whatever), whereas your DB server handles MySQL and data caching.

You can try out this setup with all your other vB installations without needing to install vB Optimise by configuring vB's config.php file for Memcache. That will allow you to cache vB's datastore items alone, and you can then make a judgement whether this setup works for you before installing vB Optimise or purchasing more vBO Pro licenses.

A very important step that should not be overlooked is to set the $config['Datastore']['prefix'] variable - you must make this short but unique to each vBulletin installation, to avoid conflicts.

vB Optimise has its own prefix setting in the Main Options.
    Last edited by Belazor; 11th March 2014 at 17:26.
    Fillip Hannisdal

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information