DragonByte Tech | vBulletin Mods & Addons - Powered by vBulletin

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Several Questions

Forum: DragonByte Newsletter Professional Support

Questions & Answers for DragonByte Newsletter.

Level 19 (10,249 Loyalty Points)

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsActivity Stats

Default Several Questions

I have several questions.

First of all - does every user receive the newsletter email by default? I see numerous references to the user being able to set the frequency they receive newsletters, but nowhere do I see that option. Is this option a part of the newsletter itself?

When I try to send the newsletter by using the Scheduled Task function, I get an error message as follows:

DragonByte Tech: Newsletter Digest - Send Newsletter
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /home/bgobses/public_html/packages/DBTech/Newsletter/Cron/Newsletter.php on line 35

Looking at that line of code I see $sortedThreads = [];

Finally, I spent $$ to get the brand free version. Read me file gives a Brand Free key that I'm supposed to enter into the 'Brand Free Key Field' - but there IS no such field available in the two areas of my site admin CP related to the newsletter mod.

I love DragonByte products and have a number of others installed on my forum - but this one is very unintuitive. I'm not even sure it's working?
    0 1 0

Several Questions Send PM  

Founder
    Level 0 (0 Loyalty Points)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jhj8864 View Post
    First of all - does every user receive the newsletter email by default?
    Yes.

I see numerous references to the user being able to set the frequency they receive newsletters, but nowhere do I see that option. Is this option a part of the newsletter itself?
    It's in the UserCP.

When I try to send the newsletter by using the Scheduled Task function, I get an error message as follows:
    Please upgrade to PHP 5.6 as this is a requirement for running that mod.

Finally, I spent $$ to get the brand free version. Read me file gives a Brand Free key that I'm supposed to enter into the 'Brand Free Key Field' - but there IS no such field available in the two areas of my site admin CP related to the newsletter mod.
    The latest version of all vBulletin 3 / vBulletin 4 / XenForo mods do not require the key anymore, they are automatically branding free if the BF licence and the product licence is tied to the same site in your client area
    Fillip Hannisdal
    Founder & Programming Director
    DragonByte Technologies http://www.DragonByte-Tech.com

Please do not Private Message me with support requests or product questions. PMs are only for exchanging sensitive information (like FTP / AdminCP logins).
    Please do not Private Message me with business related queries (refunds, complaints, feedback, etc). Decado is the person to PM for those issues.
    Please do not Private Message Decado with support requests or forum errors.

When I say "Hotfix Released" it means you should re-download the product and re-upload the files.
    Like our products? Want to be notified on social media networks when we release updates or new products? Click the buttons below to Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Follow us on Google+!
    0 0 0

Quote Originally Posted by Belazor View Post
    Yes.

It's in the UserCP.

Please upgrade to PHP 5.6 as this is a requirement for running that mod.

The latest version of all vBulletin 3 / vBulletin 4 / XenForo mods do not require the key anymore, they are automatically branding free if the BF licence and the product licence is tied to the same site in your client area
    I have my web host working on upgrading my php version (hopefully that doesn't impact my site other than allowing this mod to function). When you say 'User CP' - do you mean I should be seeing newsletter options on my individual 'Settings' page on my vbulletin site (like I do for DB Tech Super PMs and vBMail)? Right now - I see no options related to the Newsletter at all on my settings page. Is this due to to the php issue or is there some other issue?
    0 0 0

I finally found the newsletter options under 'General Settings' - was expecting it to have it's own section as vBMail and Super PMs do....
    0 0 0

I am concerned as I'm not sure a vBulletin 4.2.1 forum will even run on php 5.6 ???
    0 0 0

Founder
    Blog Entries

I am concerned as I'm not sure a vBulletin 4.2.1 forum will even run on php 5.6 ???
    If you want to maximise compatibility, I would recommend upgrading to vB 4.2.5. Ignore the fact that it's in the RC stage, it is stable enough to run in a production environment.
    Fillip Hannisdal

Please do not Private Message me with support requests or product questions. PMs are only for exchanging sensitive information (like FTP / AdminCP logins).
    Please do not Private Message me with business related queries (refunds, complaints, feedback, etc). Decado is the person to PM for those issues.

When I say "Hotfix Released" it means you should re-download the product and re-upload the files.
    Like our products? Want to be notified on social media networks when we release updates or new products? Click the buttons below to Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter and Follow us on Google+!
    0 0 0

If you want to maximise compatibility, I would recommend upgrading to vB 4.2.5. Ignore the fact that it's in the RC stage, it is stable enough to run in a production environment.
    Might want to consider putting something on the site indicating the mod requires php 5.6 to function. Basically, I now have to update my vbulletin version AND php version to run this mod and only found that out after purchase. The product page says it will run on version 4.xx.xx which is not really accurate since 5.6 php is required and you need to be at a certain vbulletin version to install 5.6. Not trying to be prickly, just sayin'....
    0 0 0

Founder
    Blog Entries

I've updated the product info page to indicate PHP 5.6+ is required, thanks for alerting me to this missing info

For the record, since PHP 5.4 is no longer supported and is no longer receiving security fixes, and hasn't for 8 months now, it's very strange to me that site admins would choose to run a PHP version that might have multiple unpatched security vulnerabilities.
    That's not to mention the massive speed improvements from using PHP 5.6 with OpCache enabled.

If you don't mind me asking, why were you running such an old version of PHP? Had you tried to update before, and it resulted in errors from custom modifications installed? Had you never looked into the EOL for PHP 5.4, or did your system administrator not alert you to the EOL of PHP 5.4?

You can see the release history of PHP here: PHP - Wikipedia

At the moment, PHP 5.6 is only receiving security fixes, no further bugfixes, so if possible you should consider upgrading to PHP 7.0 or 7.1. To do that, you do need to be running vBulletin 4.2.5 though, as 4.2.4 and below is not compatible with PHP 7.0 or 7.1.

We are running 7.1 on 4.2.5 @ this site
    Fillip Hannisdal

0 0 0

I've updated the product info page to indicate PHP 5.6+ is required, thanks for alerting me to this missing info :)

For the record, since PHP 5.4 is no longer supported and is no longer receiving security fixes, and hasn't for 8 months now, it's very strange to me that site admins would choose to run a PHP version that might have multiple unpatched security vulnerabilities.
    That's not to mention the massive speed improvements from using PHP 5.6 with OpCache enabled.

If you don't mind me asking, why were you running such an old version of PHP? Had you tried to update before, and it resulted in errors from custom modifications installed? Had you never looked into the EOL for PHP 5.4, or did your system administrator not alert you to the EOL of PHP 5.4?

You can see the release history of PHP here: PHP - Wikipedia

At the moment, PHP 5.6 is only receiving security fixes, no further bugfixes, so if possible you should consider upgrading to PHP 7.0 or 7.1. To do that, you do need to be running vBulletin 4.2.5 though, as 4.2.4 and below is not compatible with PHP 7.0 or 7.1.

We are running 7.1 on 4.2.5 @ this site :)
    We are not IT pro's and all of our web knowledge is self-learned. There is a lot of 'learning by experience' as you go. Certainly sounds like we need to pursue upgrades and will do that. Thanks for adding the info regardless.
    0 0 0

Founder
    Blog Entries

Fair enough

I'd recommend making sure you stay ahead of the yellow colouring of the PHP versions on that page, the latest version is almost always going to be better. If you have a control panel like cPanel, it's very easy to switch between active PHP versions so don't be afraid to experiment a little!
    Fillip Hannisdal

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information