Status
Not open for further replies.

Vcize

Customer
Just a heads up..

In doing some testing I noticed that gmail was flagging emails sent via vbmail as spam. Other emails sent through the forum were going through fine (PM notifications, vbnotifications, welcome emails, etc), and were not being flagged as spam.

When clicking gmail's "why was this flagged as spam" explanation it mentioned that it was similar to other emails that other users had flagged as spam. I wondered if it was being flagged based on the notion that all vbmail users have the same default value for the dbtech_vbmail_unsubscribelink phrase, and enough vbmail mails had been flagged as spam for gmail to filter out emails with that phrase at the bottom.

To test it, I changed that phrase and sent the same email that I had just sent that was flagged as spam. It ended up going through fine in gmail.

It might be worthwhile to change the wording of that default phrase so future users aren't getting their emails flagged as spam by default in gmail.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
We've found a couple of helpful tips on Google's knowledge base about how to avoid bulk emails being flagged as spam and will be implementing them into a new release that, assuming all goes as planned, will be released on Friday.

We'll also change the wording around a bit to try to make it more unique per forum.

Hopefully these things combined will ease the problem, though the root of the problem is that users who do not look for an "unsubscribe" link and simply click "Flag as spam" hurt email senders. There's only so much we can do on our end.

Status
Not open for further replies.