Improving Your Site: vBMail
by, 25th February 2013 at 22:59 (1178 Views)
vBMail is not only a powerful Mailing List manager, it can also handle Bounced Mail not only from itself but also from vBulletin.
Primarily, it's intended to be used as a way of sending newsletters to your members. To this end, you need to set up your first Mailing List.
Configuring Mailing Lists
- Ensure your Administrator account either has "Can Administer vBMail" or is set up as Super Administrator in config.php
- Under the DBTech - vBMail AdminCP menu group, click Manage Mailing Lists
- Click Add New Mailing List
- Configure Mailing List Permissions for each of your usergroups to ensure they're set up like you need
You will now see a new Mailing List in the front-end, with all the users belonging to your "Default Subscribed" chosen groups already subscribed.
You can also use vBMail as a Bounced Mail handler. This will let you ensure that people whose emails bounce will be notified of the fact, so they can change their email address.
Bounced Mail Handler
- Create a dedicated bounced mail handler email address on your server, like email@example.com
- Under the Settings AdminCP menu group, click Options, then Email Options
- For Bounce Email Address enter the email address created in step 1
- Under the Settings AdminCP menu group, click Options, then DragonByte Tech: vBMail - Bounced Mail Settings
- For Enable Bounced Mail Handling turn it to Yes
- For Bounced Mail Handling Type, use Manual if you want to ensure you can manually edit any unknown mails to your Bounced Mail Handler email.
- Ensure you fill out the IMAP settings correctly
- Under the Scheduled Task Manager AdminCP menu group, click Scheduled Tasks
- Manually run DragonByte Tech: vBMail - Collect Bounced Mail - this will tell you of any misconfigurations in your IMAP settings
You now have Bounced Mail handling, with limited support for non-vBMail emails. It will attempt to auto-identify the originating email, but may not always succeed depending on server setup. The Manual setting in step 6 will ensure vBMail doesn't discard these emails.
If you want to review bounced emails, you can do so from the AdminCP
Reviewing Bounced Mail
- Under the DBTech - vBMail AdminCP menu group, click Bounced Mail List
- Use the search interface to find the emails you're interested in - Unknown mail are emails vBMail couldn't detect who they bounced from.
Hopefully these guides helped some of you out, feel free to post a "How do I?" question in the support forums if you have any further questions
As always, thank you for your continued support
Total Trackbacks 0